Carnival - a traditional Slavic holiday, which is celebrated during the week before Lent.It is believed that with the advent of Maslenitsa people say goodbye to winter and spring meet.Continuing Shrovetide do not eat meat, but you can eat fish and dairy products.Since ancient times people like to celebrate Shrove Tuesday as it goes merrily, cheerfully and noisily.
- Feature 1: Beginning and ending carnival
- Feature 2: Rites and traditions
- Feature 3: Meals on Shrove Tuesday
Feature 1: Beginning and ending carnival
start date of the holiday Maslenitsa is constantly changing.
When Carnival begins, you should look at the beginning of Lent.For example:
- In 2015, the Carnival takes place from 16 to 22 February;
- in 2016 - from 7 to 13 March;
- In 2017 - from 20 to 26 February.
Every day of Maslenitsa has its own name, held in a special way and not like the previous:
Monday - meeting.
this day Carnival begins, people are discussing the place festivals, finish building a swing and snowy mountains.Monday started pancakes, the first of them gave needy people in remembrance of the dead.
Tuesday - zaigrysh.
this day occurred bride brides.In the morning, we invited young people to eat pancakes and ride a roller coaster.
Wednesday - gourmand.
this day napekala pancakes mother-in-law, son in law came to visit her.It was on Wednesday, mother-in-law tried to demonstrate his good attitude to her husband's daughter.Also in-law, mother-in-law and other invited guests.
Thursday - rampant.
this day began Wide Maslenitsa.People stopped doing all the work, having fun, riding on a sled, riding, jumping over the fire, we arranged a variety of events that ended with a feast.
Friday - Teschin Vecherki.
On Friday, his son-mother-in-law came to a return visit, in which he had to show his affection for her.Wife-in-law the day baked pancakes.Mother-in-law would come to visit not one, but with friends or relatives.
Saturday - Zolovkina gatherings.
the daughter invites her husband's relatives and zolovok.Daughter-in-law gave a gift.If in-law was married, the daughter called to visit their relatives and friends married, if not married - called unmarried.
Sunday - seeing.
this day all the people asked each other's forgiveness for any offense or trouble.In the evening on Sunday commemorated the dead, went to the cemetery.On this day, the remains of food burned and washed away all the dishes.At the end of the day a solemn symbol of Maslenitsa burned - stuffed with ashes scattered over the fields.
In the evening worship in the temple is made the rank of forgiveness.All worshipers bow to each other and ask for forgiveness for that answer, "God forgives."After that, they begin to make Lenten service.
Feature 2: Rites and traditions
rites and traditions on Shrove Tuesday - are very diverse.
Some of them are still respected.For example:
One of the most interesting customs of Shrovetide - this is a dairy food.
The bottom line is that in late March, a cow for the first time after the winter otelyalis.Since the stock of meat in the winter coming to an end, and cut cattle at this time is unwise, people ate pastry and dairy products as the main source of protein.
One of the features of Maslenitsa is that woman at that time was considered the main one.
women to participate in all the festivities and ceremonies.Also, in those days it was the engagement and matchmaking.In those days, and he praised her maiden youth, motherhood and maturity and wisdom of older women.
The traditional Maslenitsa pancakes have a memorial origin.
first pancake gave to the poor for the repose of the deceased.It was believed that as the pancake round - a hint of eternity, warm - to the joy of the earth is made of water, flour and milk - an allusion to life.
One of the main traditions - Scarecrow construction Shrovetide.
Scarecrow Delhi straw and put on his hat, coat, belted sash and sandals.On the first day of Shrovetide Scarecrow ride a sleigh through the streets.On the last day of Maslenitsa burned Scarecrow, seeing leaving the winter.
One of the traditions of Shrovetide - taking the snowy town.
People were building a small town, there were gates, towers.At the top of the temple and were using brooms and rattles tried to prevent the people to seize the town.The battle was over, if someone of the attackers managed to break into the town.
No less interesting tradition is the fisticuffs.
Young boys and men competed with each other, between the villages.Before the battle, the men soared in the bath, if the meat, despite the ban, and the bread, which gave them the courage and strength.
the last day of Maslenitsa is traditionally asked each other's forgiveness with the hope for the best.On this day, Christians must have been to visit the church.By the evening of Carnival ends with the burning Scarecrow and ready to meet the spring.
Feature 3: Meals on Shrove Tuesday
So as Pancake Day has made dairy products, meals can be prepared from them.Traditional dishes are pancakes, pies and dumplings.
Recipe 1: Traditional pancakes
- Milk - 500 milligrams.
- Wheat flour - 200 grams.
- Sugar - 2 tbsp.
- Chicken egg - 2 pieces.
- Salt - a pinch.
- Vegetable oil - 2 tablespoons.
- Beat eggs with sugar, add a pinch of salt.
- Continuing to whisk, gradually sprinkle in the sifted flour.
- Pour the milk and gently stir all into a homogeneous mass.
- Leave the dough for 20 - 30 minutes to infuse.
- Before frying the dough, add the vegetable oil and mix.
- Well, heat a frying pan with a little oil.
- Pour a thin layer of pancakes and fry on both sides no longer than a minute.
- After frying pancakes first oil can not be added because it is already in the test.
Helpful hints: to pancakes were softer, can be used in the dough in equal proportions and the usual sour milk.
Recipe 2: Scotch pancakes
- Oatmeal - 100 grams.
- Wheat flour - 60 grams.
- soda and salt - to taste.
- butter - 1 tablespoon.
- Cheddar cheese - 75 grams.
- Milk - 60 milligrams.
- Egg yolk - 1 piece.
- Mix together the flour, oatmeal, salt, soda, butter and mix well.
- Add grated cheese to the mixture and mix again.
- Add milk, knead the dough and roll into a thin layer of.
- Cut saucer large circles, each of which, cut into four parts.
- edges using grease yolk.
- Bake pancakes in the oven until brown.
Helpful hints: to get sweet pancakes with cheese can add a little sugar.You can add nuts or poppy seed pancakes.
3 Recipe: Pancake pie with cherries and chocolate
- Wheat flour - half a glass.
- Milk - 1 cup.
- Egg - 1 pc.
- sugar - 1 tbsp.
- Vegetable oil - 1 tsp.
Ingredients for the filling:
- Chocolate - 2 tiles.
- pitted cherries - 200 grams.
- Cheese - 350 grams.
- Milk - 100 milligrams.
- sugar - half a glass.
- Egg - 2 pcs.
- flour - 3 tablespoons.
- butter - 1 tablespoon.
- Powdered sugar - 1 tbsp.
- Vanilla sugar - to taste.
- Sift flour into a bowl, add the egg, a teaspoon of vegetable oil, half the milk and stir well.Gradually pour the remaining milk.
- Allow to stand the test of 20 minutes and bake 6 - 8 pancakes.
- Separate the yolks from the whites.
- Beat cottage cheese with egg yolks, vanilla sugar and a tablespoon of flour until the air mass.
- with remaining flour and milk, mix melted chocolate.
- domed grease a baking dish with butter, spread it on pancakes, leaving little to hang their edges.Two pancake should be set aside.
- Pour into a mold half of the chocolate mass.
- Mix the cherries with the sugar and add the stuffing from cottage cheese.Spread the filling on one-third of the deferred pancake and roll it into a tube.
- add two rolls of the pancake in the chocolate mass and pour the remaining chocolate.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.On the chocolate filling Put the rest of the curd.
- Wrap the edges of pancakes, brushing them with butter.
- Reduce oven to 180 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn the cake onto a refractory dish, beat whites with powdered sugar mixture and coat the top of the cake.
- Pie Bake another 20 minutes until golden brown.
Helpful hints: can be added to any sweet pie filling, such as raisins, apricots or berries.
Recipe 4: cabbage pie and eggs
Ingredients for the dough:
- Yogurt - 1 cup.
- salt - 0, 5 tsp.
- vegetable oil - 100 ml.
- Dry yeast - 10 grams.
- flour - 3 cups.
- Sugar - 1 tsp.
Ingredients for the filling:
- Cabbage - 350 grams.
- Egg - 2 pcs.
- Onions - 1 pc.
- sunflower oil - 40 mg.
- Chives - 10 grams.
- Salt and pepper - to taste.
- Sift the flour and put it in the dry yeast, salt and sugar.
- Pour butter into the flour to room temperature and warm yogurt.
- Knead elastic dough that does not stick to hands.
- Put the dough in a bowl, cover and put in a warm place for an hour - a half.
- shinkuem cabbage, diced onion and lay out all together to extinguish the pan.
- Simmer the cabbage until tender.
- cut into small boiled eggs, green onions and add to the cabbage and onions.
- stuffing peppers and season with salt to taste, then mix well.
- share the dough into two parts, one of which roll out and lay in a greased baking dish.
- spread the filling over the dough and cover with the rest of the test.
- top of the cake grease with egg and put in preheated oven to 170 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes.
Helpful hints: steam outlet of the pie, performed before baking it in a small hole in the middle.
5 Recipe: Dumplings with strawberry
- Wheat flour - 3 cups.
- Eggs - 2 to 3 pieces.
- salt - 0, 5 tsp.
- Water - 0, 6 0, 7 glass.
- All ingredients should be poured into a bowl and carefully knead the dough that will not stick to hands.
- If the dough sticks to your hands, add a little more flour.If
- strawberry frozen - thaw and sprinkle with sugar, then pour the juice evolved into a separate container.
- Divide the dough into several pieces and roll it into the reservoir.
- With glasses done dough circles.
- In the middle of each circle lay out stuffing and blind tests on each side.
- Boil the dumplings in boiling salted water for 8 to 10 minutes.
Helpful hints: can make the dough for the dumplings do not water, and sour milk.If you make dumplings with berries - makes it a bit thicker than the meat, cabbage or liver.Beautiful dumplings are obtained if they are boiled in water with the juice of beets.