Atkins Diet - this is one of the most effective diets that have existed for the last couple of decades.Especial popularity it enjoys in the West.Many Hollywood stars claim that they were able to lose weight, only thanks to this diet.
positive feedback and the results of the Atkins diet at the time noted celebrities such as Catherine Zeta-Jones, Jennifer Lopez, Renee Zellweger, Minnie Driver, Jennifer Aniston, Matthew Perry and other Hollywood stars.With this diet Dr. Atkins even got its other name - Hollywood diet.However, its principles are all the same - to restrict the consumption of carbohydrates.It is a low-carb diet, which laid the foundation for many variations of low-carbohydrate diets.
1. Basic mechanisms of the low-carbohydrate Atkins diet
2. Pros and cons of diet
3. What is ketosis and what is its use for weight loss?
4. Rules Diet: Stage 1 Stage 2
6. The final phase of the Atkins diet
7. The Atkins Diet: contraindications and side effects
• Basic mechanismslow-carbohydrate Atkins diet
based diet Atkins, as the basis for other ways to supply low-carbohydrate diet, which are just a variation of the Atkins diet is the principle, which states that the main reason the body's fat deposits and obesity - is excessive consumption of carbohydrates.
In fact, as has been confirmed by scientific studies, carbohydrate-rich foods leads to a rapid increase in blood sugar, which causes the pancreas to quickly produce insulin, the hormone that transports nutrients to cells.The body's cells use these substances for energy.However, if too much sugar in the blood, more than the body's cells need for normal life, it begins to excess stored as fat.
scheme is simple: the more sugar enters the bloodstream, the pancreas is forced to produce more insulin.The more insulin is produced, the body becomes less sensitive to this hormone.Simply put, insulin loses its own efficiency, and more sugar is deposited in the form of fat.Such is the kind of vicious circle.Of course, the description of the process is very schematically and figuratively, the production of insulin in the body and the deposition of fat - a very complex mechanism used by the human body to get food, the necessary energy for life.
In addition, there is evidence that some people (probably due to genetic predisposition), are prone to faster set of extra kilos in the use of carbohydrates, compared with others, to consume the same amount of carbohydrates in the diet.
• Pros and cons of the low-carbohydrate Atkins diet
This diet has many opponents have argued that in fact has not been proved to the end, that is responsible for the extra weight is insulin.However, the opposite is abundantly clear to all: the extra weight causes many people to insulin insensitivity and diabetes, and even more so.Other researchers, critics of the diet claim that the increase in insulin leads to obesity only people consuming too many calories.Simply put, the extra weight is formed through no fault of carbohydrates, due to excessive caloric intake person.
however, has proven is the fact that as a result people lose excess weight, following the low-carb diet, much faster than any other diet.And it is quite natural.The first two kilograms, which are rapidly lost on a diet with a limited amount of carbohydrate intake, - water, rather than oil, so as carbohydrates retain fluid in the body.
Reducing carbohydrate intake you will, of course, a great start to eat protein and fat.However, supporters of this diet claim that, even when using a large amount of fat actually lose weight.The reason for this is the feature of fat digested more slowly than carbohydrates and delay hunger, satiety is maintained for a long time, unlike carbohydrate foods, and you do not contrive all the time to seize the piece between meals.It even has a compelling historical examples.For example, we know that the Inuit and other northern peoples rarely obese.But the basis of the diet of these people is a meat and animal fat.
• What is ketosis and what is its use for weight loss?
There is another important principle of getting rid of unnecessary kilograms.The necessary goal - to bring the body into losing weight is one of the natural physiological state called ketosis.When in ketosis the body produces ketones - the so-called side-chemicals that speed up and simplify the burning of body fat, so actually lose excess weight.
In addition, the accumulation of ketones often results in the emergence of a sense of mild nausea, resulting in a feeling of aversion to food, and people eat less.
However, it should be noted that although ketoses, as already mentioned - the natural state of the organism, and not harm him in any case, for a period of time, if too long preservation of the state, for example, inFor several months, could begin a very serious health complications:
- 1. First, in the blood during ketosis increases the level of urea that can cause kidney stones in people who have a predisposition to it.
- 2. Secondly, the amount of ketone to achieve a certain level, the human body begins to get rid of them, and at the same time disposing of important minerals such as potassium and sodium.The loss of the body can lead to dehydration, or cardiac arrhythmia.The possibility to avoid this is: carefully follow the instructions of the diet and take a multivitamin and additional mineral complexes.
- Terms diet: Phase 1
main phase of the diet lasts 14 days, during which you must strictly observe the dietary restrictions, do not retreat a single milligram.The daily diet slimming on Atkins should not exceed 20 g.carbohydrates per day.Within two weeks, you need to monitor closely and count their number.When this can not control the amount of consumed calories and amounts of food.However, should eat only when you are really hungry and as soon as they were filled - to stop eating.Never load up painful discomfort in the stomach!Try to eat slowly, so as not to miss the feeling of fullness.
total list of products in accordance with the levels of carbohydrates, we have provided below.A For more information, "the Atkins diet, carbohydrates table", which can be found by following the link to the page table carbohydrates .
- low-carbohydrate diets: a list of products with unlimited consumption
in unlimited quantities, you can use the following products:
- 1. All kinds of meat, poultry and fish.
- 2. Many seafood - they contain a very small amount of carbohydrates, which can be found by looking at the package (or table view carbohydrate Atkins diet .
- 3. Eggs cooked in various ways (without supplements with carbohydrates).
- 4. Cheese - all cheeses contain carbohydrates, from miniscule amounts to a significant content, so it is always necessary to specify this information.
- 5. Vegetables salad: celery, lettuce leaf, radish, cucumber, Chinese cabbage, parsley, endive, paprika, fennel.
- 6. Young shoots of germinated seeds of all - small amounts.
- 7. Mushrooms. Radish. Olives. Herbs for cooking and salad: fennel, pepper, garlic, thyme, basil, rosemary, oregano, ginger, cayenne pepper, tarragon.
- 8. Drink: Clean water. Mineral water. herbal teas without sugar. Alcoholic beverages. Drinks with sugar substitutes, the carbohydrate content of which is equal to 0.
- 9. Oils and fats: Resolution can be considered as all-natural vegetable oils.In terms of influence on the metabolism of the best are: olive, soybean, peanut, sesame, and sunflower oil, preferably unrefined and cold pressed.With regard to animal fats, the best choice would be a natural butter and fish oils.Margarine and any artificial fats - strictly prohibited.It is also necessary to avoid various dietary defatted products as they contain in their composition artificially produced oil and high carbohydrate content.
- 10. Permitted artificial sweeteners - are: saccharin, sucralose, cyclamate, and so on. Do not make any sweeteners with names ending in "-oza" that is, such as sucrose, maltose, fructose, etc ..
To calculate the amount of carbohydrates, which are limited to your diet, you can use the table of carbohydrates and make the appropriate rules of diet menu.
way, and dishes that do not contain carbohydrates, that is, the content of carbohydrates per 100 g.Product = 0 is:
- 1. Beef, veal, pork, lamb, pork loin, beef tongue, pork, beef liver, bacon, pork legs, heart, rabbit, chicken, ducks, geese, chicken broth, meat.
- 2. Fish fresh, frozen (sea, river), Shrimps, Caviar, Black caviar.
- 3. Vegetable oil.
- 4. Whiskey, Vodka, Cognac, Rum, Brandy, Tequila, mineral water, coffee, tea (without sugar!), Red wine vinegar (in 1 tbsp. Spoon).
- low-carbohydrate diets: a list of products allowed in small quantities
can be consumed in small amounts, the following low-carb foods:
- 1. Cabbage all other than the above.
- 2. Asparagus.Spinach.Eggplant.Zucchini.Green Peas: Canned or boiled.Onions.Tomatoes.Bamboo shoots.Artichokes.Avocado.
- 3. You can use the cream in small quantities for salads, but be sure to include it in the calculation of the total daily amount of carbohydrates.
- Atkins diet: the forbidden foods
categorically excluded from the diet: cereal, fruit, bread, sweets and starchy vegetables (eg potatoes).
- Phase 2 diet
After 2 weeks is strictly carbohydrate control comes next, the second phase of the diet.At this time, you can slightly increase the amount of carbs - but in a way that did not stop ketosis!
Increased carbohydrates necessary for the health and future sustainable weight loss.Thus one person can not afford to eat a day and 100 gr.carbohydrates to lose weight without stopping, and the other has 30 grams.faced with the termination of ketosis.All strictly individually.The only way - is to closely monitor fluctuations in weight at this stage to find the best suitable amount of carbohydrates consumed for themselves.
This phase can last for as much as necessary, as long as you do not reach the desired weight.
- The final phase of the Atkins diet
final phase - maintenance.You need to avoid in order to return the dumped kgs!
Add more carbohydrates in your daily diet, but follow its own weight and the volume attentively.To make the most reliably monitor the weight must always be weighed in the same time and under the same conditions, preferably in the morning after the appropriate physical exercise and a toilet.After all digits on the scale does not indicate only one fat, and a volume of liquid and waste staying in the body.It is for this reason, and in addition and in view of psychological factors plan, the weight value of the human body is very unstable and changed every day, and even more accurately throughout the day.
If the weight began to come back, urgently need to reduce carbohydrates in the menu.If it became too fast back - go back to the previous phase - phase 3 weight loss on Atkins.
• Atkins Diet: contraindications and side effects
Assessing the obligatory conditions of this diet, most of the "critics" draws attention to the side effects and contraindications that may arise as a result of the power to prescribe diet.
Reducing the amount of carbohydrates in the diet leads to a partial reduction of the intake of dietary fiber, which can result in constipation.The way out is the use of appropriate supplementation with fiber.
also draws attention to the fact that the result of such a diet is becoming increasing use of products of animal origin, which may result in an increase in the body the amount of cholesterol and saturated fats.It is from this fact, most nutritionists associated increased risk of heart disease.However, there are studies that reject this assumption, at least in women.Although scientists say that the issue still requires more research, and therefore it is assumed that heart disease - is a contraindication to the Atkins diet.
In addition, the information found on the possible occurrence of deficiency of certain nutrients, while limiting the consumption of carbohydrates.These substances enter the body with the help of useful carbohydrates but vegetables, fruits and whole grains containing them, for the most part it is not recommended to consume a diet.To at least somehow compensate for this deficiency, nutritionists advise necessarily include a food fish and offal.Home
what it should be remembered - is that regardless of the positive and negative qualities of any diet, do not forget that it is in the first place should not be applied to your health harm.Listen to your body, treat it with care and love, and it will tell you whether you have chosen the correct way to lose weight or better stop.
little more about diets: