How to teach a child to the pot - not a simple matter
- How to teach a child to the pot - not such a simple matter
How to teach a child to the pot?Success in this case depends on the physical and emotional readiness of the child, and not by a specific age.Many children show an interest in the pot in two years, while others may not be ready for it in 2.5 years.
Can I to this child?
Answer a few questions:
- Interested in whether the child is potty or toilet, wearing underwear?
- Does the child understand simple directions?Can the
- ask simple questions?
- whether the child remains dry for more than two hours during the day?He wakes up dry after a nap?The child
- predictable schedule bowel movements?
- Demonstrates whether the child words, facial expression or gestures when he wants to use the toilet?
- child feels uncomfortable in a dirty or wet diaper?
- Can the child himself off and put on pants?
If you answered yes to most of the questions likely the child is ready for potty training.If a large part of the answer is no, probably worth the wait.
What problems can arise and how to solve them
- child does not sit on the potty because he is afraid of it.It may seem incredible, but look at the situation through the eyes of a child: in his view pot - something big, hard and cold.If you put it in the toilet, there still is the toilet - it even more harder and colder, it publishes rumbling sounds, and what goes into it, is gone forever.
- The most obvious thing you can do in this situation - not to put the pot in the toilet.Where to put it?Anywhere where the child feels comfortable and where there is no carpet (so they will not stain).In addition, you must make sure that the child thought his pot completely - and their belongings do not need to be afraid.Write the child's name on the pot (no matter that he had not read - he would still be pleased that his stuff is written his name), and / or let him decorate it with markers or stickers.
- When the child is asked to sit on a pot, he refuses, and starts to cry.Perhaps the child is simply not yet ready for the pot.If you are in doubt, wait a couple more weeks and then begin to teach him to go without diapers.However, in most cases, the children behave so for the same reason that they do not want to go to wash or to go to bed: they found that the opposition is a tool of influence on the world around us.In this case, the following recommendations can:
- Do not remind.It may be difficult to resist the constant reminders that it's time to go to pot, if you feel that the "incident" almost inevitable.However, too frequent reminders only cause the child a greater desire to resist you.Just put the pot in the place where the child will notice it and, when necessary, the child himself will sit on the potty (of course, to make things happen that way, he would not have to wear diapers).
- not insist.If you often tell a child something like, "Well, sit down a little more, maybe something in and out" - are just fueling his rebellious mood, and then it can be understood that even in adults sphincter and bladder Urinary bladder - structure and function not work on orders.If the child to no avail sat on the pot less than a minute, and then ran to play, do not disturb him.Indeed, defecation or urination may occur at the wrong time and the wrong place for this, but the likelihood that the child, when need be, he will sit on the potty, too, is quite high.Over time, the probability will increase as the pot will become more familiar to the child object.
- Do not scold the child for what he did not manage to reach the pot.It is not easy to stay calm if you have to regularly clean up the child, but because of the anger (and especially - physical punishment) the parents of the child may have problems with defecation and / or urination caused by anxiety anxiety - how to distinguish normal from disease? .Any punishment for the fact that the little man has not yet learned how to control the functions of your body is completely unfair, and can lead to serious problems.
- rewarded for success.If your child took the pot time, or did it, for example, during the week, praise him, and make a small gift (a new inexpensive toy or a treat).But do not encourage this way everyone march to the pot - so you can give your child a new tool to manipulate adults.
- In addition, the child may refuse to sit on the potty because he Constipation Constipation - Watch out for food attempts to empty the bowel and cause pain.If you suspect that a child has constipation, give him more foods rich in dietary fiber, such as whole wheat bread, broccoli, various cereal porridges.If this does not help, consult a doctor.
- child does not want to go to the potty in kindergarten.To begin, try to learn as much as possible about how the children in the garden go to pot.Perhaps teachers lead them to the bathroom in groups, and your child bother the presence of strangers.In this case it is necessary to talk with teachers and explain your child's needs: maybe they will be able to lead him to the toilet alone, or together with a best friend.It is also possible that the pot in a kindergarten in design differs from that child uses at home.If it bothers the child, buy a pot for kindergarten - exactly the same as what was used in the child.
- child went to the pot, and then the problems began - dirty panties, wet sheets, and so on.The reasons for this are usually any, even minor, change in the habitual way of life.For example, he began to walk to the pool, he bought a new larger bed, you come to visit friends - all this sometimes leads to the fact that almost form a habit like disappear.In no case do not need to blame or shame the child.On the contrary, it encourages - as a rule, the children feel guilty when you do not have time to time to get to the pot, and they really need the support of loved ones.Gradually the child get comfortable with the changes, and will once again go to the potty;you may have to re-teach it to the pot, but this time the process will go faster and easier.