awkward age - a time of major changes not only for teens but also for their parents.To the children and parents have successfully gone through this time, it is important to understand what happens to a young man, how it affects the awkward age, and how he can help adults.
When a person enters into puberty, his body is changing so fast, it has not changed since he was an infant.
- Rapid weight gain and growth.During the growth spurt that adolescents lasts about a year, the girls grow, on average, 8.9 cm, and the boys - 10.4 cm. Usually growth spurt in girls occurs two years earlier than boys.Weight gain is due to the development of muscle tissue and fat boys - the girls.
- development of secondary sexual characteristics.Changes in hormone levels leads to the fact that teenagers are developing secondary sexual characteristics.These include: pubic hair, menarche (first period), or penis enlargement, voice change (in boys), the growth of hair in the armpits, facial hair growth in males, increased activity of the sebaceous and sweat glands.
- brain development.Recent studies have shown that the brain is fully developed only by the end of puberty Puberty child - stages of a complex path .In particular, adolescents still work well enough connections between neurons that influence on the emotional sphere and some mental functions.This may be the reason that many teenagers are not well controlled by their emotions Emotions and culture: how to decipher the emotional code and actions.
How does it affect a teenager?
Teens sleeping longer than usual.Experts believe that they really need to sleep for a long time, so the body can normally cope with a heavy workload during rapid changes.The average teenager requires 9.5 hours of sleep Dreams: how to understand our dreams per day.
clumsiness is caused by rapid growth and the fact that the teenager does not have time to adapt to the changes that are happening to his body.
Adolescent girls are starting to pay attention to your weight.According to approximate data, more than 60% of girls in the transition to adulthood for the first time go on a diet.In 1-3% of them develop eating disorders - anorexia Anorexia - Symptoms and effects on the body or bulimia.
Teens are being more interested in sex.It occurs naturally under the influence of hormones and the changes that occur with the body.There is nothing wrong with that, and parents should not blame the children for such an interest (or try to convince them that it is too early to think "about it");it is best to tell your child about how to protect themselves from unwanted pregnancy and disease, as well as to explain that sex should ideally precede deep, trusting relationship between the partners.
- Development of abilities to argument.At puberty a person learns to accept and justify the decision, taking into account the different circumstances and possible scenarios.His thinking is more logical, precise and independent.
- development of abstract thinking and the ability to metamyshleniyu.Called abstract thinking about what can not be touched directly, that you can not see or hear;abstraction in thinking exist only in the human mind.The development of this ability is that teens may engage in the study of more complex things, as well as serious reflection on topics such as faith, trust, belief, spirituality, and so on.
- Metamyshlenie - the ability to think about what a person thinks and feels.Because of this ability a person begins to understand better how it is perceived by others;He is also aware of how his thinking, and this allows him to better store and organize different information.
How does it affect a teenager?
Shyness.At a certain period, almost all teenagers are convinced that the people around will certainly care about how they look and what they do.They become shy (although sometimes it may be trying to cover too aggressive, ostentatious behavior), and only as they mature to understand that most people, in fact, think mostly about themselves.
lack of fear ("it can not happen to me").Capacity for abstract thought and reasoning is not immediately allow teens to do the right conclusions.Therefore, so prevalent among these risky behaviors: they are convinced that will not become pregnant if they have sex without a condom, do not develop cancer if they smoke, and they do not happen anything wrong, if they drink or take drugs in an unfamiliar company.
Addiction point around their mistakes.Teens already know how to analyze the actions of others, but they are usually judged very harshly: for them there is only black and white, with no shades in between.Most often "victims" emerging thinking teenager become parents.Teens can say very bad things, without thinking about what the other person feels (or thinking, but later), and it is very sensitive to criticism.
- formation of personality - one of the most important tasks of adolescence.Teenagers usually do not question - who am I?In contrast, in the transition to adulthood, they attach great importance to the opinion of others, and often try to change yourself to please others.However, as a result, try on a few social roles, a growing person understands what it is he wants, and begins to appreciate the unique features of his personality.
- becoming independent.Teenage Riot - the most common sign that a person begins to assert its independence.Although he can do it pretty rough, as a result, contrary to the fears of many parents, everything is correct: Teenager learns to be an independent person, and at the same time to interact successfully with others.Can not interfere with this process, otherwise you risk to grow infantile personality, which in 30 years will continue to need your support.
- Choice purposes.Many people in the transition to adulthood to understand what they want to achieve in life, and start to somehow move toward your goal (although the target can be changed more than once).Adolescents need to understand what he has most marked ability, and how it can be applied in the future.Parents should encourage the aspirations of the child and offer him various opportunities for the realization of his talents.