A cyst in the newborn brain - there is great danger?
brain cyst in newborns - is quite frequent, sometimes does not manifest itself.The degree of danger of a brain cyst is determined by its size and location.The most dangerous cysts growing at the surface of the brain of the newborn.
Why formed a cyst in the newborn brain
cyst is a fluid-filled cavity is rounded, located in the brain.It is not a tumor, in situ forming dead nerve tissue on any part of the brain.Most cysts are formed unit of the brain, but sometimes there are multiple.
reason for the formation of cysts in the newborn brain is perinatal (perinatal) brain lesions, that is, diseases and injuries that have occurred since the twenty-eighth week of pregnancy through the first week of life.
It may be transferred woman bacterial or viral infections (such as flu Influenza - expect the unexpected but always , herpes), impaired placental circulation, injuries during delivery and so on.
a result of perinatal brain lesions is the destruction of a small portion of brain tissue and the formation of cysts in this area.The cyst can grow and compress the surrounding tissue, which leads to a particular neurological symptoms, and also can affect the physical and psychological development of the child.
Types of cysts of the brain in newborn
There are three types of cysts of the brain in newborns:
- arachnoid cysts of the brain of the newborn - a cyst located between the surface of the brain and the inner arachnoid;These cysts are formed after inflammation or trauma, they may have different dimensions and location;arachnoid cysts is rare, but has a tendency to rapid growth and compression of surrounding tissues;
- subependymal cysts - develops within the brain against the background of cerebral circulation, hypoxia (oxygen starvation) and the dying off of brain cells;in place of dead cells formed a cyst;cyst requires constant monitoring of the child and an annual diagnostic testing (magnetic resonance imaging) to prevent its growth;
- choroid plexus cyst usually appears as a cyst of the brain in the fetus;if it appeared at the beginning of pregnancy, the threat is usually not, and often to the birth of a child absorbed;the emergence of such a cyst later in life shows a woman undergoing infection seriously proceeding pregnancy;cyst is rarely dangerous.
What are the symptoms of a brain cyst in a child
symptoms directly depend on the volume of the cyst and its location in the brain.If the cyst is located:
- in the cerebellum - incoordination, dizziness Dizziness - if the ground is slipping from under his feet , the child vomits frequently Why the child vomits frequently - what are the norm? , restless;
- in the neck - disorders of the organs of vision;
- in the area of the pituitary gland - may be a delay of physical and psychological development, convulsive readiness, hearing impairment, motor impairment;
- if a large tumor, it may increase intracranial pressure, leading to headaches, dizziness;the child lethargic, sleepy, sometimes restless, bad breastfeed constantly belches;fontanelle swells and throbs.
Diagnosis and treatment of cysts of the brain in infants
Reveals brain cyst in a child up to one year (until closed anterior fontanelle) by ultrasound, which is conducted for all children at the age of three months.According to the testimony it can be done earlier.More accurate are studies such as magnetic resonance and computed tomography (MRI and CT).
Most cysts of the brain do not require treatment, and follow-up.Treatment of cysts is carried out only in the case of growth, compression of the surrounding tissues, or a significant increase in intracranial pressure intracranial pressure - if you have a headache .
Surgical treatment is mainly exposed to growing arachnoid cyst.There are several ways of surgical treatment:
- carrying out radical surgery - removal of the cyst after craniotomy;This traumatic operation and the reason it is only for health;
- bypass surgery - removal of the contents of the cyst using a shunt system;the operation may be complicated by the addition of an infection due to the long-term presence of the shunt in the brain;
- endoscopic surgery - removal of the contents of the cyst using an endoscope through the small holes in the skull;operation is not traumatic, but requires training physician for neurosurgical endoscopy.
With early detection and treatment of a cyst in the newborn brain can be completely cured.