Many prefer the development of depression used antidepressants plant origin, because they believe that they are safer.These drugs include products containing St. John's wort.Always keep in mind that these funds are not only certain indications, but also contraindications.Some people may develop side effects.St. John's wort preparations can strengthen or weaken the effects of many drugs while their application.
How do drugs Hypericum
drugs St. John's wort - a group of drugs that are used in the treatment of depressive disorders.These include:
- gelarium Hypericum;
- Gerbion Hypericum;
- Despres Despres and Forte;
- Doppelgerts Nevrotonik;
- Life 600 and Life 900;
Antidepressants plant incorporates comprise multiple active components.It:
- Hypericin and pseudohypericin;
- Flavonoids: hyperoside, kvertitsin, amentoflavone, izokvertitsin, rutin;
- Essential oils;
- caffeic acid derivatives.
Hypericin - the main active ingredient in St
was assumed that hypericin inhibits the activity of the enzyme monoamine oxidase A (MAO-A).But as a result of the research, it was found that this material has little effect on MAO-A.Other active ingredients of drugs Hypericum can inhibit the MAO-A, but to achieve this effect must be far greater than the recommended therapeutic dose of drugs.Hypericin inhibits serotonin reuptake membranes of nerve cells, and also affects the exchange of melatonin and thus develops its antidepressant effect.
flavonoids bind to benzodiazepine receptors, resulting in the St. John's wort preparations have a calming effect on a person.Flavonoids also have anti-inflammatory properties.
Hyperforin is active against strains of Staphylococcus aureus that are resistant to penicillin.Also, this substance inhibits the growth of bacteria such as Streptococcus pyogenes and Streptococcus agalactiae.
Antidepressants plant: indications and contraindications
natural antidepressant that contain St. John's wort, used for certain indications.They can be used when:
- somatogenically reactive depressive states and mild to moderate in severity.Somatogenic depression Depression - a little more than a bad mood develop against various diseases of internal organs or organic brain lesions.Reactive depression - is the response of the human body to any stressful situation;
- sleep disorders Dreams: how to understand our dreams ;
- worry and anxiety;
- psychovegetative disorders: palpitations, feeling short of breath, headaches, dizziness, pain in the heart and stomach, excessive sweating, nausea, disorders of urination and bowel movements.
In some situations, these funds can not be used.They are contraindicated in:
- individual intolerance to any component of the drug;
- severe depression;
- occurs earlier photosensitivity reactions when taking products containing St. John's wort.
There is no evidence that St. John's wort preparations have adverse effects on the fetus during pregnancy.Therefore, these drugs can be used only after consulting a doctor and in the event that the benefit to the mother outweighs the potential risk to the child.
Side effects and overdose
Adverse reactions when using products containing St. John's wort in their composition, are rare.The following side effects:
- From the digestive system: constipation, nausea, vomiting;
- of the nervous system: anxiety and fatigue;
- photosensitivity reaction (hypersensitivity to sunlight and UV rays) in the form of skin lesions: burns or rashes.This occurs most often in people with fair skin, or in HIV-infected patients;
- Allergic reactions such as pruritus and rash.
cases of drug overdose St. John's wort have been recorded.In case of receiving the funds in an excess amount, or may develop increased side effects.After an overdose of products containing St. John's wort in its composition, for two weeks to avoid direct exposure to unprotected skin to direct sunlight or ultraviolet radiation.
use with other drugs
With simultaneous use products containing St. John's wort and antidepressants from the group of MAO inhibitors may increase the effects of the past and the development of hypertensive crisis Hypertensive crisis: how to protect themselves from the consequences of .When coadministered with digoxin St. John's wort decreases the effectiveness of the latter, and after the cancellation of the natural antidepressant - Digoxin toxicity increases.
When concomitant administration of St. John's wort with antidepressants from the group of selective inhibitors of the reuptake of the neurotransmitter serotonin (paroxetine, fluvoxamine, sertraline) are likely to gain the effects of these drugs.It is also possible the development of dangerous complications such as serotonin syndrome.This gives rise to confusion, trembling of the limbs or trunk, increased sweating, skin redden.Develop strong emotional arousal, which is accompanied by a sense of fear and anxiety.One becomes overly fussy, and he has a feeling of a lack of ideas.
When using St. John's wort St. John's wort : application - medicine for 99 diseases together with oral contraceptives, which contain a combination of levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol increased the likelihood of acyclic bleeding.St. John's wort reduces the concentration of theophylline in the blood of those who regularly take the drug.Also, these herbal antidepressants help to reduce or mitigate the effects of duration:
- Anticoagulants of the coumarin (warfarin and phenprocoumon);
- immunosuppressive drugs (cyclosporine and tacrolimus);
- protease inhibitors, which are used in the treatment of HIV;
St. John's wort preparations should only be used when the average depression and mild.In more severe conditions need expert help and prescription of antidepressants from other groups.Also, a doctor must apply in the event that the intake of herbal remedies do not improve the human condition.