Mental illness - ashamed to ask for help?
Mental illness - are any diseases that affect the way a person thinks and feels, and how to behave in relation to the surrounding world.Although the symptoms of mental illness can be very different, depending on the type and form of the disease, any psychiatric disorder if left untreated can eventually lead to the fact that a person loses the ability to lead a normal, fulfilling life.
Causes of mental illness
exact causes of mental illness can be established relatively rare, but the available scientific evidence suggests that in most cases the disease develops under the influence of several factors: biological, genetic, psychological, social,and so on.They are not a consequence of the defects of human nature, or his weakness and recovery of mentally ill people is only slightly dependent on the strength of the patient's will.
- Heredity.Often the same mental illness occur in families, and this suggests that the predisposition to the development of their inherited.However, the fact that your mother or father suffered from a mental disorder does not mean that once it manifests itself and you.It says only that the likelihood of developing this disorder have higher than average, but there are other factors - such as trauma or severe stress How to beat stress?Create an oasis - which lead to the manifestation of the disease.No triggers a person can live life by visiting a psychiatrist during the compulsory medical examinations - for example, to obtain a driver's license.
- Biology.Some mental disease associated with abnormal levels of neurotransmitters - such as serotonin.Neurotransmitters help nerve cells in the brain communicate with each other, and when they are not sufficient, or they are functioning properly, develop mental illness.Structural defects or injury of certain parts of the brain can also cause malfunctions of this complex mechanism.
- psychological trauma.Sometimes mental illness developed as a result of psychological injuries, mostly (though not required) as a child.It may be the loss of a loved one, an extreme indifference of parents, sexual violence, and so on.
- External factors, such as poor relationships with family members or classmates, divorce, drug abuse sometimes also lead to the development of mental illness.
possible to prevent mental illness?
Unfortunately, it is currently impossible or prevented, or even simply to foresee the development of mental illness in humans.Trying to avoid the trauma and other triggers is useless because they are not always and not at all lead to mental disorders.
How common are mental illnesses?
Mental illness is very common - they are more common than diabetes, cancer and heart disease.In Western countries, about 25% of adults and 13% of children aged between 8 and 15 years suffer from some kind of mental disorder.The most common ones are depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.
from mental illness is not protected by anyone: they can develop at any age, level of education, racial and cultural backgrounds.Some of them, such as eating disorders are most common in women, while others, such as attention deficit disorder attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) - to help fidget? hyperactivity disorder, most often diagnosed in children.
How to treat mental illness
Mental disorders, like any chronic illness requiring long-term, systematic treatment.In recent decades, knowledge about the nature and treatment of these diseases were supplemented by extensive new data, and because of this, many mental illnesses today are treated quite successfully.For their treatment is one or more of the following basic methods:
- Drug therapy;
- group therapy.
In some cases, in order to stabilize the patient's condition may require hospitalization.
In addition to the above methods may be used:
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT);
- Art therapy;
- Play therapy;
- vagus nerve stimulation;
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation.
What is the prognosis of mental illness?
Subject to timely diagnosis and treatment, many people manage to recover completely, or at least successful in controlling symptoms of mental disorders Mental Disorders - when life is not a pleasant .About eight out of ten people who have been diagnosed with mental illness return to a full and productive life.However, in some people the disease becomes chronic, and results in a loss of capacity.
How to recognize mental illness in the early stages of development
If a person has more of the following symptoms, there is a substantial likelihood that he began to develop a mental illness:
- previously uncharacteristic isolation, loss of interestother people;
- sharp deterioration in the results at work or in school;
- problems with concentration, memory, logical thinking, or speech;
- Increased sensitivity to sound, smell and touch;
- Apathy - unwillingness to participate in any activities, a complete lack of initiative;
- The feeling of isolation from the surrounding reality and / or a feeling of unreality;
- Unusual or exaggerated ideas about their own ability to understand the significance of events, illogical or "magical" thinking, fairly typical for children but not for adults;
- fear and suspicion towards others;
- sharp change in appetite and sleep habits and / or neglect of personal hygiene;
- indistinctive, strange behavior;
- mood swings Mood swings in women - bad character or a disease? .
One or two of these symptoms do not necessarily indicate mental illness.However, if the person appeared three or four or more of the above symptoms, you should seek the advice of your doctor.The sooner the disease is diagnosed and treatment is started, the better the patient's chances for a full recovery.