As you know, aging and weight gain linked.Women tend to gain weight in a very important period of life, but in menopause weight gain is inevitable.Menopause or menopause - a period of cessation of ovulation and menstruation in women.Women over forty years, it is difficult to lose weight and it is difficult to maintain a normal weight.Weight gained during menopause and after it, it is very difficult to lose.Most often, this weight is concentrated in the abdomen and thighs.
Weight gain during menopause is most often due to the following factors:
- sharp decline in estrogen levels
- lack of regular physical activities
- significant reduction in muscle mass
- unhealthy lifestyle and diet.
Most women (at least 2/3) aged 35 - 55 years, significantly gain weight in premenopausal period (the period prior to menopause).Weight gained at this time, it is difficult to lose, although it can be controlled.It is also shown that weight gain after menopause increases the likelihood of breast cancer.Studi
Before menopause gain weight is evenly distributed throughout the body: thighs, buttocks, arms and stomach, and the weight gained during menopause, is deposited mainly in the abdomen, causing the figure taking shape of an apple.Such sudden weight gain in the abdominal area can lead to cardiovascular disease.
reasons for weight gain
weight gain in women of menopausal age can not fully explain the hormonal changes that occur in a woman's body during this period, although the hormones are indeed a major factor annoying changes that affect a woman's body.Changing the shape of the body is directly related to lifestyle and aging.Thus, weight gain during menopause is caused by such factors:
- overeating: the consumption of large amounts of unnecessary calories that are not burned, necessarily lead to weight gain.
- insulin resistance: some women with age develops a resistance to insulin, which causes the body to store calories rather than burn them.
- psychological factors: chronic stress, chronic fatigue Chronic fatigue - if life is not a pleasant and increased anxiety anxiety - how to distinguish normal from disease? - here are the culprits of weight gain during menopause.These factors cause psychological disorder of body functions, resulting in a feeling of hunger (often false) that, in turn, leads to weight gain.
- Aging: the aging of the body's muscle mass decreases and the fat layer increases.Therefore, slowing the process of burning calories, but it would reduce muscle mass is also not able to burn the same amount of calories as before.
- sedentary lifestyle with age the body's need for calories for energy decreases.All the extra calories turn into fat, which gradually replaces the muscle.As mentioned, fat burning fewer calories than muscle.Therefore slows the metabolism, which in turn leads to weight gain.Lack of exercise: menopause women are less involved in sports than before, and therefore recover stronger.
- Hereditary factors can also cause weight gain during menopause.
- hormonal imbalance or deficiency of hormones, this factor can affect the body's resistance to insulin, which promotes the accumulation of excess fat (and thus all the extra calories turn into fat).
- thyroid disease: weight gain during menopause is associated with thyroid disease or disorder of her work.
- slow metabolism: slow metabolism, coupled with the lack of physical activity, combined with aging may lead to weight gain during menopause.
Avoiding weight gain
Unfortunately, weight gain - an integral part of aging.But this process can be controlled as follows:
- lead an active lifestyle, exercise;
- undergo a course of hormone replacement therapy, which helps to maintain hormonal balance, which means - a healthy weight.
- reduce the consumption of fatty foods.Limit intake of saturated fat;consume "useful" fats of vegetable origin (e.g., nuts, olive oil, peanut oil, etc.).
- reduce the consumption of high-calorie food.Remember that with age, we need fewer calories, so you should eat rationally.However, the sharp drop in the number of calories as harmful to health, as in this case, the body begins to store energy, and it will be harder to lose weight.
- sports.Try to do aerobic exercises that speed up metabolism improves metabolism and losing weight without dieting , which helps burn calories.Strength training is also beneficial because they increase muscle mass and also speed up the metabolism.
- Start early.Regular exercise should be initiated is not fifty years, but much earlier, in thirty years.At the same time should pass to a balanced diet.This will help to get used to this way of life and facilitate the restructuring of the body during menopause.
- Include in the diet of more fresh fruits and vegetables, proteins, and so on. If possible, choose low-fat sauces and salad dressing, boiled chicken, tuna fillets and other fish.Limit the consumption of pork, hamburgers, pasta, potatoes and fast food.
- Drink more water and reduce consumption of carbonated drinks, and drinks containing caffeine.
premenopausal and weight gain
term "premenopausal" refers to the period prior to menopause.At this time in a woman's hormonal changes occur, which subsequently leads to the appearance of symptoms of menopause.These changes are manifested in age from 35 to 60 years and last from two to six years.During this period, women begin to rapidly and without apparent reason, gain weight, even if you follow a strict diet.
methods of weight control (diet, exercise, starvation) that women used before in this period ineffective.Weight gain in the abdomen - common in premenopausal.Fluctuating hormone levels, lower estrogen levels Estrogen - the key to healthy bones , the accumulation of fat cells - these are just some of the factors that contribute to this unfortunate phenomenon.