Sciatica during pregnancy - what are the reasons?
During pregnancy, many women suffer from back pain, but they do not always happen exactly caused sciatica.Researchers estimate that about 34% of back pain in pregnant women is associated with pinching and / or inflammation of the spinal nerves, it usually begins sciatica during pregnancy.
Sciatica during pregnancy can be caused by:
- weight gain.During normal pregnancy weight women increased by 11-15 kg.As a result, the load on the spine is substantially increased and this could lead to a displacement of the intervertebral discs and pinching of the spinal nerve roots.The likelihood of sciatica is especially great for women who lead a sedentary lifestyle, and rarely participate in sports;
- change in posture Posture - a few helpful tips for those who want to walk straight .Pregnancy leads to change the center of gravity of the body, resulting in a gradual and often unnoticed by the woman's changing posture and the way she moves.Because of this also increases the load on the spine, and increases the likelihood of displacement of the vertebrae cervical dislocation: it is necessary early detection ;
- Hormonal changes.During pregnancy, hormones are produced, relaxing ligaments to prepare the body for childbirth.As a result, the spine becomes less stable.However, this leads to radiculitis not always, but only in cases where there are factors that increase the risk for this disorder;
- Stress.Emotional stress How to beat stress?Create an oasis increases the likelihood of various diseases, including sciatica.This is just one of the reasons why pregnant women is very important to control stress and, if necessary, seek medical help.
In addition, if a woman has previously been bouts of sciatica, a fairly high probability of repeated exacerbations during pregnancy.
Treatment of sciatica during pregnancy
Fortunately, in most cases, the pain caused by sciatica, held a few weeks after emergence, and it is possible to facilitate a variety of home remedies and OTC drugs.
- Exercise is necessary to strengthen the back muscles, and thereby reduce the load on the spine.Pregnant women suffering from sciatica, useful yoga, perform stretching exercises Stretching exercises - Be careful , as well as some simple yoga exercises.It is important that the load corresponded to the level of physical fitness of women: if before she rarely exercise, during pregnancy you have to train very carefully and preferably under the guidance of a coach.Also it is necessary to talk to your doctor about what load you are fit, and what - are undesirable.
- packs.Cold or hot compresses to help relieve pain and inflammation in sciatica, and do not cause any side effects, which is especially important for pregnant women.Apply compresses to back or other parts of the back (depending on where the source of pain), for 15-20 minutes, at least twice a day.Many experts recommend to alternate packs: for two or three days to do a cold compress, and then a couple of days - hot and cold again.
- Acupuncture.Scientific evidence that sciatica in pregnant women can be successfully treated with the help of acupuncture, yet, but many women around the world to successfully use the services of experts in the field of alternative medicine.If you also want to try this method of treatment, pre-consult with your doctor.
- Massage - is an effective and safe remedy to relieve pain caused by sciatica, but only if it makes an experienced professional who knows how to do massage for pregnant women.Ask your doctor to recommend you a good massage therapist or physiotherapist.
- painkillers.Suffering from sciatica Pregnant women are recommended, if possible, to do without analgesics, but if the above resources did not help ease the pain, you should talk to your doctor.As a rule, doctors advise in such cases to take paracetamol - it is relatively safe for pregnant women, and if you take it in moderation, rarely causes side effects.Only in rare cases, a doctor may prescribe more potent analgesic intake and / or anti-inflammatory drugs.