Conjunctivitis during pregnancy - severity and treatment
called conjunctivitis inflammation of the thin outer shell of the eyeball - the conjunctiva.Though its symptoms can be extremely unpleasant, this disease is very common, and rarely leads to serious health consequences.Does any particular conjunctivitis during pregnancy?
Causes and symptoms of conjunctivitis in pregnant women
Causes of conjunctivitis can be:
- bacteria.Symptoms of bacterial conjunctivitis are usually yellow or greenish discharge from the eyes, swelling of the eyelids, redness of the eyes.The infection can affect one or both eyes;
- viruses.As a rule, viral conjunctivitis Viral conjunctivitis - increased incidence there is a strong eye redness and itching, but no dense release.In some viral infections can be enhanced tearing.Most cases of viral conjunctivitis affects both eyes.In addition to the signs of conjunctivitis, patients may experience symptoms of common colds - fever, chills, headache, cough, and so on.Because pregnant women's immune defense is weakened somewhat, they are more vulnerable to other pathogens infectious conjunctivitis Infective conjunctivitis - options Origin .The likelihood of developing other types of conjunctivitis, which will be discussed below, pregnant women are not higher and not lower than that of other people;
- allergies.The most common seasonal allergic conjunctivitis, and its worsening in the majority of cases occur in the spring or early summer.However, some women have an allergic reaction causes the pollen of plants that bloom in late summer or fall;allergens may be other substances, for example, animal hair, the components of household chemicals, cosmetics, and so on.Allergic conjunctivitis usually causes redness of the eyes, tearing and severe itching.With very few exceptions, the symptoms observed in both eyes.Often allergens cause other symptoms, such as runny nose, sneezing and / or skin rash.
There is also a contact conjunctivitis that develops in case of eye foreign objects, certain chemicals, and also because of wearing contact lenses.The reasons for this may be conjunctivitis, such as smoke, dust, sand, and so on.
In some cases, conjunctivitis can be caused by micro-organisms that cause disease, sexually transmitted infections, such as chlamydia.
Harmful if conjunctivitis during pregnancy
In most cases, conjunctivitis in pregnant women do not pose any danger to the womanor for her unborn child.This disease usually passes quickly, without causing any complications.Infective conjunctivitis during lactation is also considered harmless - the likelihood that it will be passed pathogens child is relatively small, but if it is caused by adenoviruses, should take Merya for preventing colds in children.Allergic conjunctivitis is not contagious at all, and causes trouble only the most patient.However, when the signs of conjunctivitis Symptoms of conjunctivitis when sick eyes pregnant women should consult a doctor.This will prevent or diagnose chlamydial conjunctivitis time.
fact that the disease in most cases is a sign of untreated chlamydia infection and this may have an impact on child health.Women who are infected with chlamydia during pregnancy, increasing the likelihood of intrauterine infections, premature rupture of membranes and preterm delivery.Several studies have also shown that chlamydia can increase the likelihood of miscarriage, but these findings have not been confirmed.But found that chlamydia infection increases the likelihood of other sexually transmitted infections, including HIV, in addition, it can be transmitted to her baby during childbirth.
child transmission occurs in about half of the cases of women at delivery was untreated chlamydia.
In 25-50% of these children in the first days after birth develop conjunctivitis, and from 5% to 30% of kids in a few weeks or months after birth sick with pneumonia.
Chlamydia often occurs with very mild symptoms, and women may not realize for a long time that they are sick.Even if pregnancy has already occurred, prompt treatment significantly reduces the risk of complications associated with chlamydia
conjunctivitis, which are the causative agents of other microorganisms, usually do not affect the course of pregnancy and the baby's health.
Than to treat conjunctivitis in pregnant
often for the treatment of conjunctivitis in pregnancy is enough to home remedies.For example, well relieve the symptoms of various types of conjunctivitis warm compresses: small towel dampened with hot water is applied to the eyes for four to five minutes.You can also make cold compresses both plain water and a decoction of mint or chamomile.
- If the morning on the eyelashes and eyelids appear stale plaque, it should be carefully washed off with warm water.
- Do not rub your eyes - it will bring temporary relief, but is likely to slow down the healing process.
- Many doctors recommend for the relief of symptoms of conjunctivitis symptoms conjunctivitis - vivid manifestation use non-prescription eye drops, or so-called "artificial tears".
conjunctivitis treatment in pregnant women with antibiotics prescribed only in cases where the patient diagnosed with bacterial conjunctivitis, and no improvement after a week or more, or a woman's immune deficiency and an increased risk of serious complications.It is especially important to treat chlamydial conjunctivitis, the dangers mentioned above.
Usually, just a short course of treatment to destroy chlamydia;the woman's partner should also undergo treatment.
Up until the treatment is completed, it is strongly recommended to abstain from sexual intercourse - it can lead to re-infection with chlamydia.
In allergic conjunctivitis the doctor may prescribe the patient an antihistamine eye drops.They are much safer than oral antihistamines, and rarely lead to complications.Allergic conjunctivitis in nursing mothers also can be treated with eye drops with antihistamines - most of them are derived from breast milk in very small quantities, and are not dangerous for the baby.However, antihistamines can be taken only on prescription;taking OTC drugs during pregnancy and lactation on their own initiative should not be.