Premature birth - the nightmare of the future mother
Premature birth - is the beginning of birth between 20 and 37 weeks of pregnancy.Full-term pregnancy is considered to be between 37 and 42 weeks.During childbirth the uterus contracts and the cervix opens.So begins the birth of a child.
What are the risks of premature birth?
the earlier the birth, the greater the risk of complications for the baby.The reason for this is that some organs of the child such as the heart and lungs may not be completely formed.Premature babies born after 32 weeks of pregnancy generally have less chance of complications than those born earlier.
For those born before 24 weeks of pregnancy the chances of survival are extremely slim.And those who survive usually have serious health problems, such as learning difficulties or poor motor skills.
What causes preterm labor?
Premature birth can be caused by problems of the mother, baby or both.Often, the cause remains unknown.
Preterm labor often occur due to natural causes.But sometimes doctors use drugs or other methods to artificially induce childbirth, as further pregnancy poses a threat to the mother or child.
cause of preterm birth can be:
- premature detachment of the placenta from the uterus.
- Multiple pregnancies - twins or triplets.
- infection of the uterus, which causes the onset of labor.
- problems with the uterus or cervix.
- use of alcohol or drugs.
- amniotic fluid begin to depart earlier.
means of infertility treatment Infertility Treatment - What are the priority principles often lead to the fact that women often give birth to twins or even triplets.It also increases the number of premature births.
What are the symptoms?
can be difficult to determine when to start birth, especially premature.Symptoms may be the following:
- regular contractions for an hour.That is 4 or more for 20 minutes or 8 or more an hour, even after you've rested and drank a glass of water.
- fluid from the vagina.You may notice that it is pink or reddish.
- pain, similar to menstrual cramps, possibly accompanied by diarrhea.
- feeling of pressure in the pelvis and abdomen.
- dull pain in the lower back, pelvis, abdomen and thighs, that does not go
- illness, including fever and fatigue.Pressing the abdomen may be painful.
If contractions stopped, maybe they were Braxton Hicks contractions.They can cause discomfort, but does not cause severe pain.It is believed that it is like a training session before the actual fights.But sometimes they are difficult to distinguish.
If the fight does not stop, the cervix begins to open.Before or after the fights can break the amniotic sac, causing leakage of amniotic fluid.This is called a rupture mebmrany.Break up fights membarny calls premature rupture of membranes.
How to diagnose preterm labor?
If you think that you went into premature labor, call your doctor or midwife.The specialist will be able to check whether you have moved the water if there is an infection and expanded if the cervix.Your doctor may also take blood and urine tests to find out what problems can cause premature labor.Checking the fetal heartbeat and ultrasound can help your doctor see if all is well in the child.Through analysis of the amniotic fluid can be determined whether to end formed baby's lungs.
What if premature birth?
If you went into premature labor, the physician must weigh the risks of early birth and the risks of delaying childbirth.The doctor may:
- Try to delay delivery by the medication.
- use antibiotics Antibiotics - whether they will help you in the foreseeable future? , to prevent or cure the infection.If you have a torn amniotic membrane, the increased risk of infection.
- give you steroids to prepare for the birth of the baby's lungs.
- treat problems caused by complications of pregnancy.
- Let leave to proceed, as it is safer for both mother and child than to prolong the pregnancy.
The most common symptoms of preterm labor:
- contractions or tangible
- uterine cramping abdominal pain Abdominal pain: when to sound the alarm? , similar to recurrent pain (cramping pain during menstruation)
- Increased pressure in the bladder Urinary bladder - structure and function and vagina
- Increased urination
- leak fluid
- Vaginal bleeding
- lower mobilityFetal
If you are in the eighth month of pregnancy or period of your pregnancy exceeds 30 weeks, a threat to the life of the child is very small.Most likely, after the premature birth the baby will have to spend some time in the NICU.If the child is born before 30 weeks of pregnancy, there is a real threat to his life, but in intensive care he will spend a month or more.
When symptoms of preterm birth immediately contact your doctor or midwife and let them know about their condition, without missing a single detail.Depending on the seriousness of the situation or the doctor will advise you immediately come to the hospital for examination, or to lie down and wait for further developments - often the symptoms are false.
In the case of hospitalization and childbirth threaten you prepare for labor, will be given a gown, be connected to the system monitoring the status of the mother and check the expansion of the cervix.If labor is not yet too late to stop, you will be given medications that remove uterine tonic and helps stop the fights.In rare cases, when there is a threat of loss of pregnancy, a woman is hospitalized before the end of pregnancy (put "conservation") - for a few days, weeks or even months.
If the delivery can not be stopped, new mother an injection of steroids to accelerate the maturation of the baby's lungs, which increases the chances of survival after a baby out of the womb.In the event of premature birth a woman can only trust the doctors and midwives, on which depends the life of a child.