- Leukocytosis - when there are too many white blood cells
- white blood cells and their role in the human body
Leukocytosis - a condition characterized by an excess of white blood cells, or leukocytes,blood.White blood cells are part of the immune system, that is, they help the body to fight various diseases.They are produced in the bone marrow.There are different types of white blood cells;some of them are released into the blood, some remain in the bone marrow and all perform different functions.
leukocytosis develops when excessive production of white blood cells.He can go without treatment, or develop into hyperleukocytosis - threatening disorder in which the patient requires immediate treatment.
- infection is the most common cause of leukocytosis.In particular, this disorder can be caused by viral pneumonia and chicken pox.
- inflammation.The inflammatory process begins when white blood cells fight with dangerous bacteria penetrate into the body.In some diseases, such as arthritis Arthritis - a variety of forms and complications , inflammation may be chronic, which means that the level of white blood cells are also constantly increased.
- tissue damage.The level of white blood cells is increased in any tissue damage from scratches and burns, and the last ones, which is the cause of cancer and heart disease Heart disease and heart attacks: that every woman should know .
- immune response.The leukocytosis can develop in patients with asthma and severe allergies.
- disorders associated with bone marrow.Bone marrow can produce too many white blood cells in various diseases, including leukemia.In leukemia, the bone marrow makes too many white blood cells, but they do not act as normal white blood cells.Development of leukocytes increases and disorders such as polycythemia vera, myelofibrosis, and thrombocytopenia.
- Medications used to treat inflammation, mental disorders, cancer and problems with the respiratory tract, may cause leukocytosis.
- Stress.Heavy and / or prolonged psychological stress could be a factor in the development of related leukocytosis.
The most common symptoms are leukocytosis:
- bleeding and / or frequent bruising
- Causeless fatigue, weakness, malaise
- dizziness, fainting, sweating
- pain or tingling in the arms, legs and abdomen Shortness of breath
- Violation of
- Unexplained weight loss and / or poor appetite
Often leukocytosis asymptomatic or present only the symptoms of the disease, which is the cause of leukocytosis.
Diagnostics For diagnostics leukocytosis blood test, during which determined the level of white blood cells and, in some cases, the reasons behind his change.In addition, the doctor conducts a thorough medical examination.In some cases, other tests, such as peripheral blood smear and bone marrow biopsy.
Treatment of leukocytosis
Choice of treatment depends on what caused leukocytosis.
- Antibiotics are prescribed to treat and prevent infection that caused leukocytosis.Sometimes it's just a precaution, and in some cases antibiotics Antibiotics - whether they will help you in the foreseeable future? help prevent sepsis.
- Steroids are used that remove or reduce inflammation and thereby reduce the number of leukocytes in the blood.
- Antacids help to reduce the amount of acid in the urine during treatment leukocytosis.
- drugs that reduce uric acid levels Uric acid - a normal level? .Reducing the amount can prevent the destruction of the tissues of the body, the result of which sometimes becomes a leukocytosis.
Leukapheresis - the process of extracting white blood cells from the blood.After that, the blood may be poured back into the patient or send to the laboratory for analysis.Sometimes it is maintained to be used for transfusion to another person.