Pentoxifylline - User: Avoid Overdose
Pentoxifylline improves blood circulation in the brain and provide oxygen to the brain tissue.It is used in violation of cerebral circulation against the background of atherosclerosis, ischemic stroke, poor circulation in the area of vision and hearing, with persistent changes in peripheral arterial lumen.
mechanism of action of pentoxifylline
Pentoxifylline belongs to a group of drugs that improve blood circulation in small blood vessels (microcirculation), then there is angioprotectors.Pentoxifylline reduces blood viscosity and prevents platelets from sticking together (platelet aggregation).All of this helps to improve blood circulation in the capillaries, and a better supply of oxygen to tissues.It also increases the energy potential of platelets and red blood cells, which causes vasodilation (including coronary arteries) and stronger, smooth contraction of the heart muscle (myocardium) without an increase in heart rate.Dilation of blood vessels contribute to a better light saturability arterial oxygen and improve the tone of respiratory muscles.When administered intravenously, the drug is enhanced collateral (bypassing damaged arteries) blood supply.When receiving
pentoxifylline increased ATP concentration (energy) in the brain, thereby improving the central nervous system.In areas of poor circulation (such as after a stroke) improves blood flow, which contributes to more rapid recovery after the disease.If you violate
peripheral arterial patency (eg, against atherosclerosis) pentoxifylline enhances affected arteries and improve blood supply to the tissues.
pentoxifylline produced in the form of pills, tablets - ointment and solution for injection.After ingestion well absorbed in the intestine into the blood passes through the liver, partially decomposing there.After that binds to the erythrocyte membrane and decomposed into metabolites (products of metabolism, including having biological activity) in the erythrocytes, first, followed by the liver.After one day, pentoxifylline excreted primarily in the urine and a small part - with feces.The process of elimination of the drug is reduced in elderly patients and in hepatic dysfunction.Accumulation (accumulation) of pentoxifylline in the body does not occur.
Indications and contraindications for receiving pentoxifylline
Pentoxifylline is used in the following diseases:
- in atherosclerotic vascular lesions of the brain and its blood supply violation, after ischemic stroke;
- with decreasing degree of peripheral arterial patency on the background of atherosclerosis, diabetes, disrupting innervation (angioneyropatiyah);
- trophic tissue disorders (eating disorders tissues) associated with any vascular disease (arterial, venous, capillary), such as frostbite, gangrene, thrombophlebitis;
- in circulatory disorders of vision and hearing;
- diseases of broncho-pulmonary system, accompanied by a reduced permeability of the bronchi - obstructive bronchitis, bronchial asthma, emphysema;
- in sexual disorders in men caused by circulatory disorders.
pentoxifylline contraindicated if you are hypersensitive, pregnancy, breast- Breastfeeding - a personal choice feeding, increased bleeding, hemorrhagic (rupture of a blood vessel), stroke, myocardial infarction, coronary heart disease, which is accompanied by significant changes in the coronary vessels, massive bleeding in the retina of the eye.Intramuscular and intravenous pentoxifylline contraindicated in combination expressed coronary atherosclerosis with persistent high blood pressure.
Side effects that may have pentoxifylline, and overdose
Pentoxifylline is usually well tolerated by patients, however, there are also side effects:
- from the gastrointestinal tract - nausea, vomiting, diarrheapain and a feeling of heaviness in the upper abdomen, impaired motor activity of the intestine;
- of the liver and biliary tract - aggravation cholecystitis, hepatitis Hepatitis - the scourge of our time against the backdrop of stagnation of bile, the liver;
- the part of the circulatory system - heart palpitations, heart pain pain in the heart - always consult a physician as angina attacks, irregular heartbeat, drop in blood pressure;
- of the central nervous system - headache, dizziness, anxiety anxiety - how to distinguish normal from disease? , impaired consciousness, seizures, blurred vision;
- by ENT - sore throat, hoarseness, nasal congestion;
- allergic reactions - skin rash (including rash), itching, flu-like symptoms;
- with a side of blood - decrease in the number of all blood cells, which can lead to anemia, decreased immunity and increased bleeding.
Overdose pentoxifylline appears gain any side effects.In this case, you need as quickly as possible to call an ambulance, stomach wash, take a few pills of activated carbon.An overdose of this medication usually requires hospitalization.