If your child has a weight problem, it is advisable to contact a pediatrician and a professional consultant on breastfeeding.First we need to determine whether the child's weight is lowered.To do so, learn how to calculated normal growth in children breastfed.
short list of aspects that should be considered when a child falls behind in physical development, will help you deal with the problem.
- Incorrect breastfeeding Breastfeeding: Breast - and no nails! - this is the most common cause of slow weight gain.Is there enough calories child receives?
- well is functioning bowel and bladder child?It is a measure of how much milk the baby consumes.
- What is the child's feeding schedule?Is it enough to feed him often?Sometimes a feeding schedule is disrupted due to jaundice in the newborn, his drowsiness, irritability Irritability - Try to control your mood or using pacifiers.
- Does the mother of the child to choose breast feeding or the breast itself changes at set intervals?
- Can a child to hold the breast correctly and sucks milk?
- there enough mother's milk?(Remember that stsezhivaemost milk - not an indicator of its amount.)
not necessarily express her milk and feed the baby from a bottle, or give him milk mixture Dairy mixture - selection of the useful power , to be sure that the childconsume enough calories.There is a special scale to measure the weight before and after feeding, to find out whether the baby gets enough milk.There is also a special procedure performed to calculate weight - make sure that the person conducting the weigh-in, knows the procedure.
Find out if the child has a disease that can affect its weight:
- Children who are ill (even suffer from lung ailments)often slow weight gain or even lose it.
- For simple ailments that can affect weight include ear infection, stomatitis, belching Belching why it happens and that means , anemia, allergies, and urinary tract infection.
What can be done to the baby began to gain weight
There are a few simple and proven things that help gain weight:
- Stop giving your child solid food or reduce its consumption, especially if the child is less than six months.Many solid foods contain less calories and nutrients than breast milk.In addition, the solid food is needed to replace (and not supplement) is more nutritious and nourishing breast milk.
- sleeps next to a child (this increases the amount of prolactin and the frequency of feedings).
- Learn how to make your child a massage - proved that massage aids digestion and promotes weight gain.
- During the day, the child wearing the bag-carrying / sling, try as much as possible bodily contact with the baby.As it turned out, all this helps to gain weight.
- Feed your baby frequently - at least every two hours during the day and at least once at night.Frequent feedings increase the amount of milk consumed.
- Make sure your child has time to completely finish feeding one breast before offering him another: wait for signals that the child ate when he breaks away from his chest, looks pretty and sleepy, stop actively suck / swallow milk - as if sucking a pacifier andetc.Always offer him the second breast, but if he refuses, do not worry, everything is all right.Much more important is to let the child completely finish one breast feeding, what to feed both.This is to ensure that the child has received a sufficient caloric and nutrient "late" milk, which helps to increase the period between feedings.
- During feeding it is necessary to massage and compress the breast.
- Before feeding for two minutes to express "the first" milk.It is necessary that the child has received more nutritional and caloric "late" milk.
- If the child was prescribed extra food, preferably to give him breast milk rather than formula milk (rare exceptions).The average content of fat / calories in human milk than in a dairy mix.After feeding, the milk can be pumped out for 5-10 minutes (do not for that interrupt and reduce feeding) and if necessary to offer child vysokozhirnoe "later" milk.It is also a way out for those mothers who are expressing milk, being away from the baby.