How to store breast milk: regulations
- How to store breast milk: regulations
Breast milk - the precious product for both mother and child.For the mother is another way to take care of the child and to get close to him once more, and the child is - the perfect food.Therefore, contact with milk should be cautious.The same properties that protect the child, protect the milk and at the time, as long as it is on the shelf of the refrigerator, but - only for a limited time, and if you follow the necessary storage conditions.
Store breast milk in several ways:
- At room temperature (above 25 C) - up to 6 hours;In
- container where the milk tank can impose ice - up to 24 hours;
- in a refrigerator at a temperature of -4 to -6 C - up to five days;
- in the freezer at the temperature of -6 to -17 C - up to two weeks;at -18 ° C and below - to six months.
Question storing breast milk becomes relevant if the mother returns to work or is forced for some time to leave without the child.In such cases, of course, better to use expressed breast milk, infant formula instead.
Choice of storage of breast milk depends on how soon you intend to use it.If you plan to do this for a couple of days, store the milk in the refrigerator, not the freezer, since at low temperature in milk are destroyed some substances that help the children's body fight infections.However, frozen breast milk is still better child nutrition.
Whether you're storing breast milk in the refrigerator or in the freezer, follow these guidelines:
- Use sterile containers.Optimally suited plastic bottles or special bags for breast milk.You can use glass bottles, but there is always the danger that they will crack or shatter.
- notes on the capacity of the time when we first express milk and use that "older."
- device for pumping milk should always be clean.Wash it in hot soapy water and rinse in plenty of water.
- Wash your hands before you start pumping.These measures will reduce the likelihood that the milk will begin to breed bacteria, and therefore increase its shelf life.
- just expressed milk may be added to that already stored in the refrigerator.However, remember that you can keep it only as long as the expire of the first portion of milk.
- If the milk is in the refrigerator for a while, it starts to flake.This is normal - just shake it, and use as normal.
- If you want to freeze milk, do it as soon as possible after pumping.Leave a little space containers, since the volume of frozen liquids increases.Plastic bags for breast milk because it may tear, but usually notice it, but when they begin to melt the contents.
- Fresh breast milk can be added to the frozen, if the latter is to stand in the freezer for at least four hours.The volume of fresh milk thus should be less than the volume of frozen.
- Frozen milk should be thawed in the refrigerator.There it may be stored for another 24 hours.Thawed breast milk can not be re-frozen.
- Do not defrost or warm up breast milk in a microwave oven.If you need to defrost it as soon as possible, use the first cool and then warm water.Dry milk container before opening it.
freezer or fridge?How quickly deteriorates human milk
freeze human milk loses some of the immune properties, so if possible it should be stored in the refrigerator.Below you will find a table that indicates how long you can store breast milk in the freezer, refrigerator and room temperature.If you often have to express milk for storage, it makes sense to print it out and hang it on the refrigerator door.
Each container with milk write the date and time, when you decant, so you can first use the milk, which is stored the longest, and you do not have to throw away a valuable product.
safe and convenient storage of milk
for safe storage of breast milk:
- packages breast milk to put in a large enough container for them before putting them in the refrigerator or freezer.This will provide additional protection and desired handling of containers.
- Even if you use packages from stable bottom, it is better to put on the bottom of the container flat - so you get a thin piece of ice, which melts faster.The main thing - do not forget how to close the bags.
- For the convenience and safety of solid container with milk can also be put in a large container before putting them in the freezer or in the refrigerator.
- Store milk in the freezer unless it is really necessary - for example, if you need a long time to leave.In other cases, you should store it in the refrigerator - there it retains almost all its useful properties.
- thawed milk can be refrigerated for only 24 hours.