jaundice, a common condition in newborns - is the yellow color of the skin and whites of the eyes.Causes of neonatal zheltushki elevated bilirubin in the blood.
Bilirubin is produced during the normal breakdown of red blood cells.
Normally, bilirubin passes through the liver and is excreted as bile through the intestines.Jaundice occurs when bilirubin builds up faster than a newborn liver can break down and bring it out of the body.Here are the reasons that cause this condition:
- Newborns produce more bilirubin than adults, because they are updated more quickly red blood cells.
- liver of a newborn baby is still developing, and may not be able to display an adequate amount of bilirubin from the blood.
- Too much bilirubin again absorbed from the intestines before the baby gets rid of it with a chair.
high bilirubin levels (usually above 25 mg) can cause deafness, cerebral palsy, or other forms of brain damage in some babies.In less common cases, jaundice may indicate another problem such as a
The most common types are zheltushki newborns:
- Physiological (normal) jaundice: This mild jaundice,which is found in most newborns, occurs due to the immaturity of the baby's liver, which leads to slow the development of bilirubin.It usually occurs on the 2nd - 4th day after birth and disappears by the age of 1-2 weeks.
- jaundice in preterm infants: It often occurs in premature infants because they are less willing to effective removal of bilirubin.Jaundice in preterm infants should be treated at a lower bilirubin level than in full-term infants, to avoid complications.
- zheltushka breastfeeding Breastfeeding: Breast - and no nails! : jaundice can occur when the baby is breast-feeding is not getting enough breast milk because of difficulty with breastfeeding or because of the fact that the mother's milk has not yet appeared.It is not caused by a problem with the milk itself, but by the fact that the child does not get it in sufficient quantities.
- zheltushka because breast milk: 1% -2% of infants fed breast milk, jaundice can be caused by substances present in breast milk, which can cause a rise in the level of bilirubin.This can prevent the excretion of bilirubin through the intestines.Such jaundice appears after the first 3-5 days of life, and slowly passes through 3-12 weeks.
- Incompatibility Rhesus blood group or if the child has a different blood type than the mother, the mother might produce antibodies that destroy red blood cells of the child.This creates a sudden buildup of bilirubin in the baby's blood.Jaundice due to incompatibility of blood groups begins with the first days of life.Problems with the Rh factor once caused the most severe form zheltushki, but today it can be prevented by injection of Rh antibodies Antibodies - "soldiers' immunity mother within 72 hours after delivery, which prevents the production of antibodies that can bedanger to the child.
Symptoms and diagnosis
jaundice usually appears around the second or third day of life.It starts with the head and spreads down the body.A baby's skin is usually yellow first on the face, then on the chest and stomach, and finally on his feet.It may also cause yellowing of the whites of the eyes of the child.
Because today many children are discharged early from the hospital, it is best to show the child to the doctor after 1-2 days after discharge to check it for jaundice.Parents should also carefully observe the child to determine jaundice.
If you notice that the skin or whites of the eyes have turned yellow child, contact your pediatrician to determine how severe jaundice.
doctor may order a blood test to measure the level of bilirubin.Severity zheltushki will depend on how many hours old your child is, and whether he has other diseases.
When should you see a doctor
must immediately call a doctor if:
- zheltushka appeared in the first 24 hours after birth
- zheltushka spreads or becomes more intense
- The child raised rectal temperature above37,8 ° C
- child looks or behaves like an unhealthy
also consult a doctor immediately if zheltushki color becomes more intense, the child does not eat, or if you notice that it is more sleepy than usual.It is difficult to say how severe jaundice, simply by looking at the child, so any child who has turned yellow skin or whites of the eyes, you need to see a doctor.
In mild or moderate cases zheltushki to 1-2 weeks of life, the child himself to cope with excess bilirubin.In severe jaundice, phototherapy can be used Phototherapy - restores vitality - treatment of special light that helps rid the body of bilirubin or the liver to help raise it.
may recommend more frequent breastfeeds or replacement of a mixture to help the newborn the bilirubin through the stool output.In rare cases, blood transfusions may be required to give the baby fresh blood and bring the bilirubin.
If the child has developed jaundice, which is likely to appear due to the mother's milk, the doctor may ask you to temporarily stop breastfeeding.At this time, you can express breast milk to his body continued to develop, and once again begin breastfeeding when zheltushka pass.
If the bilirubin level is high, the baby can put in the hospital.When the bilirubin level drops and the treatment is stopped, most likely, it is no longer needed.