Swaddling a baby - from the skins to diapers
Swaddling babies appeared for a long time, given the fact that people have no hair, and a small lump of living had to be warm.Hardly primitive mother wore her child in her arms all day, most likely, the child lying on the skins of beasts, and was covered by them.With the advent of the first skin tissue flaps replaced by more comfortable, to make it easier and easier to care.
From Hippocrates to Rousseau
the time of Hippocrates five hundred years BC, babies swaddled using ribbons, separately each limb and body, and then on top wrapped in a diaper.
Romans swaddled like a mummy children.A little later, the tape replaced shabby rags, as they are less traumatized child.Practiced tight swaddling.Often with the help of top baby diapers tied to the cradle, which in many nations is the usual flat board or deck.
In the fifteenth century AD already Bartholomew - a doctor from Augsburg, speaking about swaddling indicating how to position the extremity of the child and how tightly swaddled.
In the sixteenth century, Felix wurtzite surgeon, urged mothers to do the art of swaddling, as tightly swaddled baby uncomfortable to sleep, and he feels discomfort.
A century Dr. François Marceau, in contrast, recommends tightly swaddled babies to have a nice figure and flat feet.The absence of swaddling, in his view, lead to the fact that the child will move on all fours like an animal.
Jean Jacques Rousseau in the late eighteenth century, wrote that the best small children dress in robes that give them freedom of movement.
If you ask the grandmothers and great-grandmothers, they swaddled their children, the answer is unequivocally yes, that attributed to several factors:
- Infant comfortable in diapers.
- swaddled is not compacted when his mother took to the field at work.
- If the child remains at home, caring for a child older exercised, which can easily handle swaddled infant, but it is unlikely to cope with the free.The peasant families in the cradle made special "drain" opening.They fit into the cradle of the baby in a certain way, on a bed of straw in petticoats, and the top has pripelenyvali to the cradle and put it under the tank for collecting faeces.Thus hygiene carried the baby in the absence of parents.The child, taking care of the baby, it was only to feed zhevankami through a clean calico cloth prepared in advance and mother drink from a special horn.Given the fact that caregiver-child might not be five years - it greatly facilitates his work.
- Next, as evidenced by our grandmothers - a child less frightened.Indeed, if we observe a baby, you may find it often throws up his hands when he heard a loud sound.This is a normal innate reflex.And just swaddling hinders physical movements.
- legs are straight when swaddling.Unfortunately, the structure of the legs is independent of the changing mat, it is due to genetic factors.
- only in diapers baby warm.Indeed, diapers, creating multi-layered, well retain heat, allowing the skin to breathe at the same time.Tight swaddling it does not provide, since there is almost no air layer between the layers of the diaper.
- Diaper easy to sew.
- convenient to wash diapers.
features of our time
Modern mothers want to give the child the best.Leave to care for a child helps them to be permanently together.So much of what was important for the older generation, have lost relevance today.The child is not left unattended or under the supervision of another child.The temperature of air in homes and apartments standing comfortably.Clothing for the child sells the most different.There is a large selection of diapers that prevent soiling of clothes.
So many mothers give up diapers at all.However, in the first month of the baby diaper is better to leave, especially if you do not plan to use the sling, as in this period of transition from fetal to external child survival will be easier to adapt to a new lifestyle gradually.And this transition is provided by two factors: the gentle hands of mother and swaddling, which partly reproduces the intimate comfort of the prenatal period of life.