Vomiting in children under one year: do not panic!
Vomiting - common among children.Vomiting called physiological act O food mass and other substances from the stomach by a reverse movement.Vomiting - a reflex mechanism to protect the body of the child from harmful germs or substances.However, vomiting is a danger to the child's health, especially small, since it may lose too much fluid and salt.This phenomenon is known as dehydration or dehydration.Its child's body is dehydrated, its organs, including the heart, can not operate normally.To prevent dehydration, give your child plenty of fluids to compensate for fluid loss from vomiting.
causes of vomiting in children
vomiting in young children it can be caused by various reasons, including:
- food poisoning.Food poisoning occurs when a child's consumption of food containing harmful bacteria (germs).Poisoning is also accompanied by fever, weakness, apathy and lack of appetite.
- diseases of other organs of the body.In most cases, vomiting is a symptom of another disease, such as infectious diseases of the ears, lungs and bladder Urinary bladder - structure and function .Vomiting also may be a sign of head trauma (eg, concussion) or appendicitis.
- pilorospazme.Pilorospazm - a spasm of the pylorus (at the border of the stomach and duodenum), which prevents the regular emptying of the stomach.Most often it occurs in children younger than four months.The vomit may contain streaks of bile.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): The esophagus - the tube that connects the mouth to the stomach and consists of muscle layers that expand and contract, pushing food into the stomach.In the lower part of the esophagus, where it joins the stomach, there is a muscular ring relaxation which allows food to enter the stomach and delays closure food in the stomach, preventing its throw back into the esophagus.Incomplete closing of muscular ring to throw the liquid from the stomach back into the esophagus, and there is acid reflux.If the acid starts to damage the esophagus, gastroesophageal reflux disease develops, which can cause frequent vomiting after feeding.
- Pyloric stenosis.Pyloric stenosis - a disease resulting from malformation pyloric part of the stomach, which is characterized by impaired gastric evacuation.With pyloric stenosis vomiting occurs infrequently but regularly, and accompanied by constipation and infrequent urination.Treatment for pyloric stenosis surgery exclusively.
How to help your child at home?
- Give the child to rest until he feels better.
- Contact your pediatrician if your child is showing signs of dehydration, namely:
within twenty-four hour period, you change the baby more than five diapers.When dehydration child feels dry mouth, cracked lips he Chapped lips - lips properly look after .When the child becomes severely dehydrated drowsy, listless and weak or, on the contrary, more restless than usual.When dehydration eyes and "soft spot" on top of the child's fall, the skin becomes wrinkled and pale hands and feet.
- Give your child to drink plenty
- best way to prevent dehydration - to give the child to drink plenty, even if vomiting continues.Pediatricians recommend giving your child oral rehydration solution containing salt, sugar, minerals and nutrients.
- give your child one to two teaspoons of oral rehydration solution every ten or fifteen minutes.If the child does not vomit solution slowly give him a little money.Do not force your child to drink by force, or vomiting is inevitable.
- vomiting if no more than eight hours, you can give your child a small amount of the mixture.Start with small servings, gradually increasing the amount of food.Feeding should be frequent.You can also start giving your child soft foods in small amounts that he had already got used to it.
- if vomiting is not within twenty-four hours, you can resume normal feeding.
- Put the baby on his stomach or side.This can prevent vomit in his airways and lungs.
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water.Hand washing helps prevent the spread of germs.Do not forget to wash your hands after changing diapers and before feeding.
When should you see a doctor
- The child has a high body temperature.
- Eventually vomiting persists or worsens.
- child does not want or can not drink oral rehydration solution, or the solution ineffective.
- The child starts vomiting after feeding fountain.
- A child under the age of four months, vomiting is different from the usual regurgitation.
- When to seek medical advice immediately
- vomiting continues for a long time, the baby does not take liquids that you give him.
- If signs of dehydration in children.
- If vomiting contains blood or bile (resembles coffee grounds).
- child behaves unusually, or looks very ill.
- Do you have reason to suspect a child poisoning.
- child does not respond to your questions can not tilt your head (neck stiffness), or complains of a headache Headache: causes and complications .
- The child stomach ache and vomiting does not bring him relief.
- child complains of pain when urinating.
- child is difficult to breathe.
Vomiting frightens not only the children but also their parents.Indeed, it is a dangerous condition, especially in children under one year, and requires certain actions.Vomiting in children under one year it can be caused by various factors.
Rules of parents in a child with vomiting
After feeding the baby Breastfeeding - a personal choice always need to rotatehis head to one side, especially if he is in bed, because there is a risk to inhale vomit that is dangerous development of aspiration pneumonia and even death.
If vomiting occurs the child should take the hands by turning face down and holding his head over his forehead, and ensure that the child does not aspirate vomit.The behavior of the adults must be calm.
After vomiting child should reassure, to wash and warm.Give drink a small amount of warm water.
If after vomiting being the child has not improved within ten to fifteen minutes, seek medical advice.