Pacifier - more harm than good
- pacifier - more harm than good
- How to choose
Most children sucking reflex is well developed, and there's nothing you can do.Many children suck his thumb in the womb, so do not expect them to get rid of this habit.Besides the fact that sucking power directly associated with it and has a calming effect.Therefore, without a pacifier it is very difficult to do, especially in the first months of life.Parents need to understand that it is an essential attribute of a child as diapers, diapers and sliders.However, they must decide whether to use a pacifier, or not, carefully weighing all the "pros" and "cons".
In some cases, pacifier - the only way to calm your baby between feedings.Pediatricians are the following advantages of a pacifier:
- nipple helps to calm a restless baby.Some children are simply physically can not calm down, if not busy sucking.
- nipple for a while distracted child.The nipple can be useful during the vaccination, blood sampling for tests or other unpleasant procedures for the baby.
- teat helps the baby to sleep.If the baby can not sleep and long tossing and turning, the nipple will help him to quickly calm down and fall asleep.
- nipple can ease the discomfort of the child during air travel.A small child can not protect the ears reflexively at a pressure drop, swallowing or yawning, so the nipple is very useful in such cases.
- nipple helps reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).The researchers found an association between pacifier use during sleep Dreams: how to understand our dreams and reduced risk of SIDS.
- from the nipples can be removed.When it comes time to give up the use of pacifiers, you can throw it away.Get rid of this habit is much more difficult if the child prefers to suck his thumb.
course, pacifier sucking habit has disadvantages, in particular:
- pacifier use may interfere with breast-feeding.Breastfeeding is different from sucking pacifiers or bottles, and some children are very sensitive to these differences.Studies show that the use of pacifiers at an early age due to the decrease in the period of breastfeeding, though it is unclear whether the problems are caused by breastfeeding nipple, or, conversely, the nipple is their decision.
- the child can form dependent on pacifiers.If the baby can not sleep without a pacifier at night, he can often wake up and cry when the pacifier falls out of his mouth.
- pacifier use may increase the risk of infection of the middle ear.However, the probability of infection of the middle ear, usually the most reduced in the first six months of life, which is exactly that, when a high risk of sudden infant death syndrome Sudden Infant Death Syndrome - the cause has not yet been found , and a kid anymorejust needs a pacifier.
- prolonged use of pacifiers can lead to dental problems.Irregular use of pacifiers in the first years of life is not a problem with your teeth or gums, but constant use of pacifiers can lead to the fact that the child's upper front teeth forward or bulge will grow properly.
If you decide to still give your baby a pacifier, consider these tips:
- Waituntil you set the mode of breastfeeding Breastfeeding: Breast - and no nails! .Be patient.Formation of the feeding regime may take several weeks or more.When breastfeeding Pediatrics recommends giving the baby a pacifier not earlier than 4-6 weeks of age.
- not use a pacifier as a panacea for all ills.Sometimes it is enough to turn a crying child or lull him to calm down.Let your baby a pacifier only after feeding or between feedings.Do not let your child suck on a pacifier during the day.
- Choose orthodontic silicone pacifier.It is less susceptible to deformation.Do not buy pacifiers, consisting of two parts - if the dummy will break and fall into the throat of a child, it can suffocate.Choose the most suitable model, please be dozens of pieces for the future, to the nipple has always been on hand - just in case.
- Give your child choices.If a kid does not show any interest to the pacifier, try to interest him again later - or just forget about it.If the nipple falls from the mouth of the child, while he sleeps, and he is not responding, do not put a pacifier back.
- Keep the pacifier clean.Before you offer your child a pacifier, wash it.Infants (under six months), the immune system is not fully developed yet, so the nipples should be boiled or sterilized.For children older than 6 months is enough to wash the teats with soap and hot water.Resist the temptation to "wash" the pacifier in your own mouth - so you just pass the child more germs.
- not sweetening the nipple.Do not dip a pacifier in the wet sugar or honey.
- Observe security measures.Often change the nipples, pacifiers use suitable child age (when the baby grows up, buy a pacifier bigger), check whether firmly hold all the details whether her cracks and damage.
To reduce the risk of SIDS, pediatricians recommend giving the baby a pacifier at bedtime, up to a year.However, when the child gets older, the risks of using teats begin to outweigh the benefits.Although the majority of children on their own refuse nipples aged two to four years, some need help to get rid of this habit.
Use the following methods to wean him from the nipples:
- Children under the age of six months.Instead of giving your child a pacifier perepelenayte him to shake hands, sing a lullaby Lullabies: universal hypnotic , turn softly soothing music and make it a gentle massage.
- children aged from six months to one and a half years.Use outdoor games, toys, favorite objects (such as a blanket) - in short, everything that can distract the child from the desire to take a pacifier in her mouth.
- Children over one and a half years.You can arrange a special ceremony "farewell" to the nipple (when the baby is her "buries" or he throws), or exchange it for a toy.