studies examining the effect of horsetail on the human body, was carried out a little bit.But even more alarming contraindications horsetail, are sure to find in any plant.
Horsetail (Equisetum arvense) - a medicinal plant, which was used by the ancient Romans and Greeks.It is traditionally used to stop bleeding, treat ulcers and wounds, as well as tuberculosis and kidney disease.
Horsetail contains silicon, which helps strengthen bones.For this reason, it is sometimes offered as a treatment for osteoporosis Osteoporosis - he threatens you? .It is also used as a diuretic (diuretic), and as an ingredient in certain cosmetics.
Horsetail came from a huge, tree-like plant that grew on earth in the Paleozoic era.A close relative of the fern, horsetail - netsvetuschie is a weed that grows in parts of Europe, Asia, the Middle East and North America.The plant is a perennial, with hollow stems and spikes that resemble asparagus.When the plant dries, silica crystals, which a
In medical applications used aerial parts of horsetail (fresh or dried).
use horsetail medicinal purposes
Traditionally, this plant is used as a diuretic (helps get rid of excess fluid, increasing the excretion of urine).One study examined the use of horsetail people who have uric acid stones Uric acid - a normal level? kidney.People who took horsetail, diuretic effect was observed.
Other studies suggest that horsetail has antioxidant properties and may inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
Horsetail is used in the treatment of osteoporosis (thinning of the bones), because it contains silica, a mineral needed for healthy bones.However, we know only one study that tested the impact of horsetail for osteoporosis.During this study it 122 participants were divided into two groups, one of which receives horsetail extract, and another - calcium preparations.Although participants in both groups were observed improvement in bone health, further studies are needed to confirm whether horsetail has an effect on bone density.
Horsetail is sometimes proposed as a treatment for the following conditions (although there is no evidence of its effectiveness):
- Kidney stones
- urinary tract infections
- brittle nails
- small wounds andburns (external application: you can never take any herbal supplements with open wounds).
Horsetail is available in the following forms:
- Dry grass
- Liquid preparations
- horsetail preparations should be stored in well-sealed containers, well-protected from the light.
How to take horsetail
Because horsetail contains traces of nicotine, it is not recommended for small children.
- standard dose of 300 mg, 3 times a day (silicon content 10-15%)
- herbal teas (tea) - 2-3 teaspoons, 3 times a day.Pour hot water grass and brew 5-10 minutes.Drink as directed on the package.
- Tincture (1: 5) - 1-4 ml three times a day.
- Outdoors (compresses): 10 g herb in 1 liter of water daily
Taking horsetail inside, be sure to drink plenty of fluids.
Herbs - a time-tested way of strengthening the body and treating disease.However, herbs contain ingredients that may cause side effects and interact with other herbs, supplements, or medications.For these reasons, herbs should be taken with care, under the supervision of a qualified physician, experienced in the field of medicinal herbs.
Medicines made from horsetail Equisetum arvense, are generally considered safe if taken correctly.Another type of horsetail, marsh horsetail (Equisetum palustre) - toxic to horses.For the sake of safety, never use this kind of horsetail.
necessarily buy funds issued by a reliable manufacturer with a good reputation.If possible, choose funds with a guarantee or standardized liquid extracts.
- Prolonged use of horsetail, horsetail species safe, and is not recommended.
- Internal use horsetail can cause a decrease in the level of vitamin B1 in the body.If you regularly take horsetail, you should also take a multivitamin quality, or at least the B vitamins
- People with heart disease or kidney disease, diabetes or gout Gout - the "disease of kings» should not take horsetail.
- not drink alcohol regularly when taking horsetail, horsetail because it may reduce the level of thiamine.
- Horsetail might flush potassium from the body, so people with the risk of low potassium levels should not take horsetail.
- pregnant and lactating women also should not take horsetail.
Action horsetail may enhance the effect of certain medications.For this reason, people taking medications should not take horsetail without first talking to your doctor.
People chronic drinkers may suffer from low levels of vitamin B1 (thiamine).Because horsetail can also reduce the level of thiamine should not take it if you drink a lot.
- Nicotine patches or gum
Horsetail contains a certain amount of nicotine and should not be taken if you are also using nicotine patches or gum.
- Digoxin (Lanoxin)
Horsetail can reduce potassium levels (hypokalemia) in the body.People suffering from heart Artime, and those taking digoxin should not use horsetail.
- Diuretics (diuretic drug)
Horsetail has a slight diuretic effect, which means that it helps the body get rid of excess fluid How to withdraw excess fluid from the body - all sorts of ways .People who take diuretic drugs should not use horsetail because of the risk of dehydration or low level of calcium (hypokalemia).
influencing the body's ability to output lithium, welcome horsetail with lithium can lead to a dangerous accumulation of lithium in your body.