Cataracts in children - a problematic vision
- cataract in children - a problematic vision
cataract is called a disorder in which there is clouding of the lens of the eye and caused them various vision problems.The lens - a transparent structure located behind the pupil, through which light falls on the retina.Most often develop cataracts in the elderly as a result of the aging process, but sometimes there is a cataract in children and infants.
are two types of cataracts in children:
- Congenital cataracts Cataracts - how to solve the problem completely? children present from birth, or its symptoms occur soon after birth;
- Acquired cataracts children - manifests itself in a few months or years after birth.
Cataracts in young patients - a rare phenomenon: it is observed, on average, three or four children of their ten thousand.
prevent the development of cataracts, especially congenital, almost impossible.However, if a woman during pregnancy should be carefully your doctor's advice on the prevention of infectious diseases (including, if necessary, making vaccination), the risk of developing cataracts in the future baby can be greatly reduced.For women who already have children with a diagnosis of "cataract", and who are planning to get pregnant again, you should talk to your doctor - maybe they will be advised to undergo the procedure of genetic counseling, which allows couples to assess the risk of genetic diseases in their future offspring.
Symptoms of cataracts in children
Symptoms depend on how pomutnen the lens, where it is the area of turbidity, and amazed if one or both eyes.
When the child is very small, to identify the signs of cataracts alone can be difficult.However, the newborn's eyes are examined a few days after birth, and again - after six to eight weeks.If at this time the symptoms of cataracts Symptoms of cataracts - listen to your body already exist, they are found, but sometimes they appear later.
cataract in a child can indicate the following features:
- Poor vision - you may notice that the child does not recognize objects, and less active than the other kids, watching the eyes of the people around them;
- rapid uncontrolled eye movements;
- white or gray color of the pupil or pupils of both - it can also be a sign of other serious diseases, and this should be reported immediately to the doctor.
In addition, some children with cataract, is especially difficult to see in bright light.
At the slightest suspicion that your child has vision problems, consult a doctor.
Causes of cataracts in children
Cataracts in children can be caused by many factors, although in some cases to establish the cause is not possible.
Genetic factors.In many cases, cataracts in the newborn is the result of various disorders in the genes, which he received from his parents, and because of which one or both of the lens of the eye began to develop properly.It is estimated that every fifth child in a cataract patient's family history has a congenital cataract.In addition, the cataract can be associated with chromosomal abnormalities, such as Down's syndrome.
Infectious diseases during pregnancy.The following infections transferred by a pregnant woman can lead to congenital cataracts Congenital cataracts - the problem of childhood her child:
- German measles - a viral infection in which the skin appears pinkish-red rash;
- Toxoplasmosis - parasitic infection, pathogens are transmitted through food, water or soil, which were infected cat feces;
- Cytomegalovirus (CMV) - a common viral infection that usually causes mild symptoms, but sometimes can lead to serious consequences;
- Chickenpox - a relatively harmless but highly contagious disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus;
- Herpes simplex virus Herpes simplex - actually not so simple - a type of virus that causes the common cold and, in some cases, other diseases.
cause of acquired cataracts in children may be:
- Galactosemia - a disorder in which the body of the child is not cleaved galactose;
- Eye injuries - for example, as a result of injury or surgery on the eyes;
- Toksokaroz - a rare parasitic infection, which sometimes affects the eyes.Her pathogens transmitted from animals to humans through infected feces.
very important to cataract in a child has been identified as soon as possible, as it can significantly reduce the risk of serious vision problems.
In many cases, children's cataracts detected in the surveys, which are conducted in the first days and months of life.The doctor points out how to move the baby's eyes (in particular, whether they are moving objects), and how they look.If the eye looks blurred, it may be a sign of cataracts.Children also check the eyesight surveys in kindergartens and schools.However, if you think a child has become less visible, do not wait for a planned survey, and immediately go to the doctor.
If you suspect a cataract child should be sent as soon as possible to an ophthalmologist.Before you start a survey, the doctor puts on the mucous membrane of the eye special drops that extend pupils.They do not cause the child discomfort, and the effect lasts for several hours.Then the doctor will examine the baby's eyes using an ophthalmoscope - a special tool with lighting and a magnifying glass that allows a good view of the internal structure of the eye.A cataract is diagnosed if the doctor finds clouding of the eye lens, or if the child is absent or weakly expressed the so-called red reflex from the fundus.Red reflex resembles red-eye effect in photos - a reflection of light from the deep structures of the eye.If the survey reflex is detected, or if it is very weak, it may indicate that the lens of the eye pomutnen.