Guar gum - a substance that is obtained from the fruit of guar, or pea tree.His birthplace is India, but today it is grown in many countries.The fruits of this tree are legumes, and ripen in pods, very like a small pea pods.
In Asia, guar beans are used as feed for cattle, but sometimes they eat people.In the western world guar gum is known primarily as a food additive Supplements - basic classification E412 class of thickeners and emulsifiers.
application of guar gum
Guar gum has been widely used in various fields.It is used for the production of various food products (e.g., ice cream, and yogurt), as well as in the paper, cosmetic and textile industries.It is used as a binder in the production of various tablets, and gives a thick and smooth consistency cream, toothpaste and lotions.It dissolves easily in water a white powder used even when working on oil wells.
Effect of guar gum on the body
Guar gum is a remedy for constipation.It comprises a fiber, which normalizes the
guar gum is not recommended for use in obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract, as well as two weeks before any surgery - is due to its ability to lower blood sugar blood sugar level in the blood - one of the main indicators of human health .Pregnant and lactating women nutraceuticals (dietary supplements), which include gaurovaya gum should not be taken without doctor's permission.For most people, such dietary supplements are safe - provided that they are washed down with sufficient amount of water (at least 250 ml).Otherwise gaurovaya gum may impair intestinal obstruction.
Side effects of guar gum can be diarrhea and bloating, which in most cases are a couple of days after taking the drug.The food guar gum is usually contained in an amount too small to cause such side effects.
guar gum should not be taken simultaneously with the following medicines:
- hormonal preparations containing estrogen.Guar gum reduces the absorption of estrogen Estrogen - the key to healthy bones , and reduces the effectiveness of drugs;
- antidiabetic drugs in combination with guar gum can lead to excessive reduction in blood sugar levels sugar in the blood - a very important indicator ;
- Metformin and penicillin.Guar gum gives absorption of both drugs, making them less effective.
This substance can be used in the treatment of a variety of disorders, why sometimes we hear that guar gum is harmful?
- Firstly, it can actually be dangerous for people who are allergic to it.That is why allergies should not take it on his own initiative, without the approval of a physician.
- Secondly, in 2007 the World Health Organization issued a report stating a high level of dioxin detected in the guar gum, are produced in India.Dioxins are among the most hazardous substances for humans and the environment.They are very toxic - studies have shown that they can have a negative impact on the functioning of various organs.If dioxins are ingested, they remain there for a long time since their molecules are very stable, they are absorbed and adipose tissue, where they can be stored for years.The half-life of dioxins in living organism is from seven to eleven.
researchers also noted that the higher the animal is on the food chain, so as a rule, more than the concentration of dioxin in his body.The problem is that the ordinary buyer is not known where it was made of guar gum contained in the product, got on his desk, and what harmful substances can be contained therein.Fortunately, if you will from time to time to eat a small portion of ice cream or yogurt, harm will not do - even if they have and potentially hazardous substances, their concentration is extremely low.Nevertheless, try to give preference to any organic products that do not contain food additives or products well-known manufacturers with a good reputation - they are usually better quality control and, therefore, the probability of getting together with the food portion of the toxins is less.