parents of infants often have to worry about their kids: the crumbs are born so weak, fragile and vulnerable.Someone does not sleep at night because of the childhood diseases, and to someone in the house comes a real tragedy, whose name - Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.What is it and how can you avoid such an end?
first time the term "Sudden Infant Death Syndrome" (or "sudden infant death syndrome") was introduced in 1969.Research conducted this problem before, and at the end of the XX century doctors began to identify the causes of SIDS be given special attention.However, to this day, pediatricians can not say exactly why some seemingly perfectly healthy and feel great babies die in their sleep.
sudden infant death syndrome catches infants.A healthy and well-fed baby to sleep, never to wake up - while you sleep Dreams: how to understand our dreams he stops breathing.And even an autopsy can determine the cause of why the baby suddenly stopped breathing.
Causes of SIDS are still not precisely known.However, doctors have found a number of factors that are associated risks sleep apnea in young children.Most often, according to pediatricians, SIDS occurs under the influence of a complex of factors, but precise data on this subject yet.Factors that increase the risk of sudden death in infants include:
- Sleeping on the stomach.In the old manuals on child care is often recommended to lay baby to sleep on his tummy.But today proved that sleeping on the stomach is the major risk factor for UMICs.Since WHO began to recommend to lay the baby on his back to sleep, the number of sudden infant deaths has decreased in many countries two or three times;
- overheating.Excessive wrapping the child during sleep can lead to a sudden stop breathing stop breathing (apnea) during sleep - upper airway obstruction .At the same time, the supercooling is also considered a risk factor;
- Use pillows, pillow-top mattresses, sleeping on the couch;
- joint dream of a child with his mother;
- baby sleep in a separate room from their parents;
- respiratory arrest history of the child or his siblings;
- Socially disadvantaged mothers, including mothers under 20 years old, who do not seek prenatal care;
- smoking, alcohol and drugs (especially heroin) mother during pregnancy;
- mother's illness during pregnancy;
- Obstructed labor (particularly in the case of breech fetus risk of SIDS increases seven times);
- prolonged labor (at birth of more than 16 hours, the risk of SIDS doubles);
- too short (less than one year), the interval between pregnancies;
- previous pregnancies ended in miscarriage mother;
- Severe prenatal stress, various problems of prenatal development;
- Artificial feeding;
- Failure to take the child's own mother's breast.
most dangerous age is the period from two to four months.Boys sudden infant death syndrome is threatening more often than girls - 61 per cent of cases stops breathing during sleep in male babies.
How to reduce risk?
Although the exact cause of SIDS is not yet determined, able to reduce the risk of parents of this syndrome to a minimum.Preventive measures to prevent sudden infant death include:
- mother's refusal of smoking, alcohol and drug use during pregnancy and lactation.It is proved that bad habits Bad habits - second nature? lead to serious violations of the fetus Fetal development - week after week and increase the risk UMICs;
- lack of prenatal stress;
- Breastfeeding.It is believed that malyshi- "bottle-" more at risk of sudden infant death.At the same time, there is a view that non-nutritive sucking helps prevent UMICs;
- Proper organization of a place to sleep.It should give up the soft feather beds, pillows, thick blankets.The base of the bed should be firm and level.Do not stack the baby to sleep on the couch.The room temperature must not be too high;
- Sleeping on your back.The position on the side considered to be potentially dangerous, because a pipsqueak can turn over in his sleep, even if he still does not know how to turn consciously;
- Careful attention to the child.According to statistics UMICs cases are most common in dysfunctional families where children do not pay enough attention and do not apply to the pediatrician for checkups;
- use special devices to monitor the breathing of the child.By themselves, such devices, of course, can not reduce the risk of UMICs, but they allow you to notice the problem and make the necessary arrangements as soon as possible.As a rule, the use of such devices is recommended for families, where there have been cases of respiratory arrest in infants;
- sleep in the same room with their parents.As in the previous case, the location of a cot next to the parent does not protect from respiratory failure, but allows you to detect the problem in the short term.
Joint sleep and UMICs
co-sleeping mothers and children in recent years in fashion: many mothers allows the dream to establish lactation, and sometimes it is the only way to calm an excited kid.However, many pediatricians include a shared dream to risk factors.Stops breathing in the crumbs, sleeping with his mother, there are too many to ignore this fact.According to doctors, the safest place for a baby is his own bed, no matter how convenient it may seem cosleeping his mother.
risk increases if:
- one parent smokes;
- mother of the child is in a state of alcoholic intoxication (even easy);
- mom baby feels very tired;
- mother child sleeps very soundly, waking up with difficulty;
- crumbs mother takes drugs that cause drowsiness;
- child was born prematurely and with low birth weight.