Flax Seed: Home doctor
Some call flaxseed most powerful plant foods on the planet.Preliminary studies suggest that it may reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and breast cancer.
Flaxseed was cultivated in Babylon as early as 3000 BCIn the 8th century, King Charlemagne believed so strongly in the healing properties of flax seed, which passed a law under which his people were eating it.Today, thirteen centuries later, some experts say that you need to go back to Charlemagne's beliefs and look at them more closely.
Flax seed is added to different products - from crackers to waffles and oatmeal.Consumer demand is growing.
Although flaxseed contains many kinds of useful components, it has gained its reputation thanks to three of them:
- omega-3 essential fatty acids - fats that are useful for heart health.In a tablespoon of crushed flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3 fatty acids.
- lignans, which have the properties of plant estrogens and antioxidants.Flax seed contains many times more lignans than other plant foods.
- fiber.Flaxseed contains both soluble and insoluble fiber.
Useful properties of flax
Researchers say that any useful properties of flax has not yet been established with adequate precision.Studies show that flax can reduce the risk of certain cancers, cardiovascular disease and lung diseases.
Recent studies suggest that flax seed (at least two of its components) can help prevent breast cancer, prostate cancer and colon cancer.
Experiments conducted on animals have shown that omega-3 fatty acids in flax seed, restrained growth and spread of tumors.
Lignans as part of flaxseed may provide some protection against cancers that are sensitive to hormones, without interacting with tamoxifen, a drug for breast cancer cure for breast cancer - is individually .There are suggestions that the use of lignans during adolescence helps reduce the risk of breast cancer and may increase the likelihood of survival in patients with breast cancer.
Lignans may protect against breast cancer by blocking the enzymes involved in hormone metabolism and interfering with the growth and spread of tumor cells.
Some other components of flaxseed also have antioxidant properties that may also protect against cancer and heart disease.
- Cardiovascular disease
Research suggests that plant omega-3 fatty acids help the cardiovascular system through many mechanisms, including anti-inflammatory effect and normalize the heartbeat.New research also suggests that flaxseed significantly reduces the pressure.
There are suggestions that a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids as part of flaxseed helps prevent hardening of the arteries and plaque formation in the arteries.
lignans in flax seed composition reduce atherosclerotic deposits to 75%.Flax seed may be useful in the treatment of arrhythmias and heart failure.To confirm this, further research is needed.
Studies have shown that daily consumption of flaxseed can help normalize cholesterol levels.
There are suggestions that the daily consumption of lignans in flax seed may be part of a moderately improving blood sugar blood sugar - one of the main indicators of human health .
Flaxseed can help reduce inflammation in certain diseases (Parkinson's disease and asthma).
Who should not use flaxseed
Pregnant women and nursing mothers should not include flaxseed in your diet, there is no exact data about what is safe for them.
Tips eat flaxseed
- Many experts believe that it is better to eat flaxseed, flaxseed oil than Linseed oil - the healing properties of a beautiful flower , to get all the useful components contained in the flax.
- optimal health dose is not yet known.Experts suggest to use 1-2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed daily.
- Buy milled flaxseed and grind it yourself.Whole flaxseed is not metabolized by the body.It is best to grind it into an electric coffee grinder.
- Buy brown or golden flax seed.Between them, there is no practical difference.
- Read food labels.Buying products containing flaxseed, make sure that they are not added to whole flax seed and crushed.
- Add flaxseed to the usual food.Whenever you eat oatmeal, soup, yogurt, etc., are added to them a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseed.Soon it will become a habit, and you will do it without hesitation.
- Add flaxseed in a dark-colored dishes.The dishes, which will not be noticeable presence flaxseed - is sauces and meat dishes.No one will notice flaxseed in casseroles, chili sauce, beef stew, meatballs or patties.Serves 4 casserole, add 2-4 tablespoons of ground flax seed.6-8 servings, add 4 to 8 tablespoons.
- Put flaxseed in baked goods.Replace part of the wheat flour on linen when cooking pastries such as the muffins, rolls, bread, donuts, pancakes and waffles.Try adding 1/4 to ½ cup flax meal Flax flour: natural "broom" for the beauty and health instead of wheat, if a recipe calls for 2 cups of flour to use or more.
- Keep flax seed in the freezer.The best place to store ground flaxseed - a fridge freezer.Freeze unground flax seed in a bag in which it is sold, or in a plastic bag with a zip if you have it milled.Freezer milled seed will not oxidize and lose nutritional value.
- Whole flaxseed kept longer.The outer shell of whole flaxseed keeps good fatty acids in it.Keep whole flax seed in a cool dark place, until the crush him.However flaxseed powder of high quality can be stored at room temperature and up to one year.