Family psychology - a trend in psychology, which deals with the peculiarities of family relations, and also the interaction of the family with the world - in the broadest sense.For family psychologist can handle problems like couple and extended family.
Some of the problems dealt with family psychology
- Relationship problems couples;
- learning problems in children and adolescents;
- behavioral problems of children and adolescents;
- problems between parents and children;
- adaptation difficulties that arise in the case of serious diseases (including - of mental disorders) one of the members of the family;
- problems associated with the operation of adult family members;
- problems associated with the aging of any of the relatives;
- problems in communication between two or more family members.
In his work family psychologist comes from the fact that the family - is a unique social system with its structure and patterns of communication.These schemes are determined by many factors, including i
addition, family psychology, the following concepts:
- illness of one member of the family (here means the disease is primarily psychological problems) may be a symptom of a serious disorder in the family.If you treat only the person who developed the disease, it will be treating the symptoms but not the disease itself.If you heal one person, and not the entire family, some time may be ill, another member of the family.This cycle will be repeated until fail to identify and eliminate the underlying problem.
- Any changes in the life of one family member affect both the structure of the family as a whole and for each of its members individually.
specialists who are engaged in family psychology, always consider the problems of the individual in the context of family relationships - from their point of view, any difficulties one person is symptom changes or conflicts in his family.
main objectives of family psychologist
- Explain to family members, how the family in general, and specifically to talk about the functioning of their family.
- help them pay attention to the entire family, not just the person who has a problem, because of which needed psychological help Psychological help: to understand their own rubble ... .
- help to identify the main causes of conflicts and problems, and develop strategies to overcome them.
- strengthen ties between family members so that they can work effectively to solve problems.
- Teach family members constructively to resolve any conflicts within.
often cause problems in the family becomes not the conflict itself, but how it is family members cope with it.As a result of regular consultations with a psychologist family members must realize that they are all to some extent responsible for the problems that arise, although one would have to change their behavior to a greater extent than others.In addition, thanks to the expert on family psychology man can get to know not only his family, but also himself.
Family therapy requires the active participation of all family members.The psychologist can give the job - for example, distribute the duties among family members because of their age, or every night for an hour to discuss the previous day.Methods of family psychology will help only if the job offered by the psychologist, will be carefully executed.
What to expect from the consultation with the family psychologist
First of all, the psychologist will relate to your problems impartially - he will not get up on anyone's side, someone to blame or offer versatile solutions that are suitable for everybody.Its primary mission is to the family members began to openly share their experiences, and to understand each other.
A consultation usually lasts 50-90 minutes, depending on the needs of customers and the procedures used by the psychologist.
Everyone who comes for consultation, should participate in the general talk freely, without coercion.
Family psychologist must take into account the age, needs and preferences of its customers.For example, if you go for consultation young children, therapy may be used drawing or play.In addition, some people are willing to speak openly and from the very first consultation, while others need time to get used to communicate with a psychologist - all expert should be taken into account so as not to alienate the customer by excessive pressure.The psychologist can conduct separate sessions for each family member individually, only for parents, but for the children, as well as general advice to arrange.You can from the start to discuss how the consultation will be held, but over time the psychologist can, if necessary, make adjustments to the treatment plan.
- Intra problems can be aggravated if the consultations were held enough competent specialist.
- Family psychologist does not help solve the problem if the advice is too early to stop.
- Consultation will be less effective if one of the family members refuse to talk with a psychologist.