Paranoia or paranoid personality disorder - a disorder which is characterized by a very strange, eccentric behavior.Paranoia is also called a symptom characteristic of this and several other disorders.In general paranoia - is unfounded mistrust and suspicion, which can cause intense fear and influence the person's behavior and his attitude towards others.
symptoms of paranoid personality disorder
People with this disorder are always on the alert, because we are convinced that the people around constantly trying to order or otherwise harm them.In most cases, such suspicions are without good reason.Main characteristics of people suffering from paranoia:
- They doubt that other people love them, that they can be trusted, and at the same time believe that almost everyone wants to use or to deceive them;
- They can not rely on another person to entrust him with any information of a personal nature, because they believe that it will be used against them;
- Addiction harboring a grudge and inability to forgive;
- increased sensitivity to criticism;
- They see hidden meanings in innocent remarks or opinions of others;
- faster and more aggressive response to the remarks in his address;
- Addiction ever suspect their partners of infidelity;
- Inability to see his guilt in the arisen problem or conflict and an absolute belief in the rightness of its own;
- detachment and coldness in relationships;
- tendency to controlling behavior and jealousy;
- hostility, stubbornness, tendency to dispute.
believed that paranoid personality disorder is caused by a combination of several biological and psychological factors.The fact that it is more common in people whose close relatives of patients with schizophrenia, suggesting that between these two disorders are genetically related.The experience gained in early childhood, including physical and emotional trauma, presumably, too, can play a role in the development of this disorder.
If you suspect that paranoia should consult your doctor (or do it to convince a loved one who has symptoms of paranoia).Because the people themselves, paranoid, generally do not seek help because they feel that since they are all right in most cases it is necessary to intervene to close people.
The doctor will examine the patient's medical history and do an exam to rule out physical illness, which can cause paranoia.If these diseases are not detected, it can refer the patient to a psychiatrist, who, using special techniques, paranoid personality disorder diagnoses.
As a rule, for the treatment of paranoid personality disorder is only psychotherapy - with the help of the patient can gradually improve their self-esteem, social interaction skills, and learn to cope with their own negative emotions Emotions and culture: howdecipher the emotional code .
Since the trust between doctor and patient is essential for effective treatment therapy for patients with paranoia is often very difficult, as they tend not to trust anyone else.For this reason, many patients do not follow the treatment plan - especially the first course of therapy, and may take more time than many other mental disorders Mental Disorders - when life is not a pleasant .
Medications, such as antidepressants or anti-psychotic drugs are used only in cases where the paranoid personality disorder causes very severe symptoms, or if the patient is suffering from other psychological problems such as anxiety anxiety - how to distinguish normal from disease? or depression.
Complications and prognosis
paranoia adversely affects a person's ability to create and maintain relationships, and successfully work or study.Some people suffering from paranoid personality disorder, it is possible to maintain the marriage and to work normally, but many of them due to illness does not work neither one nor the other.In addition, these patients often have problems with the law - for example, they can sue someone for alleged harassment, or face court for false accusation of someone's address.Thus, a person has to fight not only the disease but also to the consequences of their own behavior.
Since many people suffering from paranoia, resisting treatment, the prognosis is often unfavorable.To achieve recovery, the doctor has to make a lot of effort, but the patient must cooperate with him, otherwise all efforts will be in vain.In any case, for quick results in the treatment of paranoid personality disorder not count.
Other causes paranoia
addition paranoid personality disorder, paranoia can cause:
- Alzheimer's disease - are often suspicious of people with dementia have strongly expressed, which was the result of the disease;
- Alcoholism - usually in the later stages;
- anxiety disorder;
- Bipolar Disorder;
- Borderline Personality Disorder;
- Some brain tumors;
- Drug abuse - this may lead to severe paranoia even in adolescents;
- Parkinson's disease;
- Multiple Sclerosis;
- Panic attacks;
- Post-traumatic stress disorder;
- Strong and / or chronic stress How to beat stress?Create an oasis ;
- Transient ischemic attack.