- Treatment of Autism: how to reduce the effects of behavioral therapy
- Types of complementary therapies
Until a cure for autism has not been invented.But with the right treatment and educational programs, many children who are struck by the disease, can be trained and developed.Treatment of autism in the early stages helps to reduce the symptoms of the disease, reduce aggression in the behavior of the child and to make relatively independent.
type of treatment depends on the particular patient problem.Often, the most effective is the therapy that uses a combination of treatments.Autism is incurable, so the therapy continues throughout life.
there a method of treatment
sometimes used for the treatment of autism occupational therapy and physiotherapy.Occupational therapy helps patients gain independence and teaches them basic skills (eg how to button his shirt as a wash).Physical therapy includes exercise and perform other medical procedures (eg, massage, thermotherapy) to help
for the treatment of autism there is no standard method, and different experts have different views and use different methods of treatment.Before you begin treatment, you can communicate with different experts to understand, whose expertise is the greatest confidence.For information you can also contact the support group for autistic or look for useful information on the Internet at specific sites.
- fit different patients different treatment methods.This or that therapy can help a patient and be useless for another.
- Different experts, well-educated and have sufficient experience often hold different views as to how best to approach the treatment of the child.
- parent or guardian of the patient is necessary to analyze all the proposed methods of treatment based on the fact that a child, and that seems to be the most reasonable in this situation.
Whichever method of treatment is used, based on the pattern of disease specific patient's individual program of treatment.
- When combined with appropriate therapy and training program, many people with autism are making progress in development.
- Traditional treatments for autistic children is a specialized training program and behavior management.There is scientific evidence that the earlier start work on behavior management training, for the development of language skills, as well as occupational therapy, the better the long-term outcome.Generally, treatment is not easy and is a constant and hard work with the child.Behavioral, medication and other techniques may help the patient cope with many symptoms and complications arising from the disease.
to treatments of autism include behavioral, educational, biomedical and complementary therapy.Some of these forms of treatment based on the results of scientific research, others are without scientific justification.When choosing a treatment is necessary to analyze the scientific evidence in favor of a particular therapy.
Medical treatment for autism
to treat various forms of autism biomedical therapy.The most widely used in the art medications that help deal with convulsions, behavioral and emotional problems and manifestations of autism.
drugs do not eliminate the neurological problem that underlies autism, but they help to cope with the behavioral manifestations of the disease, for example, to reduce hyperactivity, impulsivity, anxiety and increase the ability to concentrate.Often these drugs help to eliminate some of these problems and allow the patient to get the most benefit from behavioral and educational therapy.
For the treatment of autism used psychotropic drugs, ie, drugs that affect the brain.Here is a list of commonly used drugs:
- Antipsychotics: the impact of this group of drugs in the treatment of autism most widely studied.In people with autism neuroleptics reduce the hyperactivity, abnormal cyclical action, the tendency to self-isolation and aggression.The latest drugs - atypical antipsychotics - including risperidone (Risperdal), olanzapine (Zyprexa), aripiprazole (Abilifay) and quetiapine (Seroquel) replaced the previously devised traditional neuroleptics, which had more side effects.Risperidone (Risperdal) and aripiprazole (Abilifay) is approved by the Food and Drug Administration as a treatment for irritable Irritability - Try to control your mood , samotravmiruyuschih aggression and behavior in children and adolescents with autism.
- antidepressants: selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) - a class of antidepressants, which is intended for the treatment of depressive states obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety anxiety - how to distinguish normal from disease? in people with autism.These drugs reduce the cyclical nature of the pathological action, depression, irritability, outbursts of anger and aggression.For drugs in this class include fluoxetine (Prozac), fluvoxamine (Luvox), sertraline (Zoloft), and others.
- analeptic agents: are used to treat hyperactivity attention deficit in autistic individuals.They increase a person's ability to concentrate and reduce hyperactivity and impulsivity.These drugs include methylphenidate (Ritalin, concerts), Deksmetilfenidat (Focalin), and amphetamines (amphetamine and dexamphetamine) and so on.
- Preparations nestimuliruyuschego action: used to treat hyperactivity, attention deficit, but also effective in the treatment of autism.As analeptic, drugs nestimuliruyuschego action effectively increases the ability to concentrate, reduce nervous agitation and reduce the level of activity.These drugs include, for example, Atomoxetine (Strattera) and Guanfacine (Intuniv).
- Other drugs: there are other drugs that can help in the treatment of autism.To reduce the convulsions are often used anticonvulsants.They also help stabilize mood and behavior.Alpha-2 adrenergic agonists (eg, Clonidine (Katapres)) is sometimes used to reduce hyperactivity and behavioral disorders in autism.Also, patients are often prescribed drugs such as buspirone (Buspar) and propranolol.
Only a few of these drugs have been tested in scientific studies involving people with autism.
- In addition, issues such as the dosage of the drug (which is especially important when treating children), monitor observation and interaction with other drugs and food, are not well understood.This also applies to short-term and long-term side effects.
- Many of these drugs have side effects such as drowsiness (sedation), or sleep disturbance Dreams: how to understand our dreams (insomnia), loss or weight gain.
- In some cases, may develop drug dependence.
- These drugs may be prescribed only by a doctor-specialist, working with autistic patients.
diet in autism
There have been many studies to find out whether the symptoms of autism are associated with an increased or reduced content in the body of patients with certain vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.The results of these studies do not give a clear answer to this question.Only a few of these theories are scientifically proven, but as parents and doctors say that patients with autism, taking nutritional supplements, such as vitamin B, magnesium, cod liver oil cod liver : useful properties and rules of use and vitamin C, there is an improvement.
In some patients with autism, there is a sensitivity to certain types of food or food allergy.In these cases it is necessary to conduct diet therapy, which provides a balanced diet and maintaining health.In addition, the organization of proper nutrition allows to adjust the intestinal digestion and improve the absorption of nutrients from food, that is, eliminate the problems which, in the opinion of scientists, common to many autistic.Some parents and doctors say that through some time after the exclusion from the diet of some potentially unwanted proteins, such as gluten (found in wheat flour) patients are planned to improve.However, the scientific studies that have confirmed these facts, yet been undertaken.
Before you start treating a child with food additives or a fundamental change in his diet, you should consult with your doctor.To maintain the normal growth and development of the child is necessary to ensure that its diet includes all the important nutrients.Moreover, despite all the benefits that bring the body nutritional supplements with vitamins and minerals, some of which can be harmful if taken in excess.