Treatment of depression - tablets needed
- Treating depression - tablets needed
- Treating severe depression
Once diagnosed with "depression", the doctor will offer you a variety of treatment options.Selection of the most suitable methods for the treatment of depression is dependent on the type of depression and general health.For example, some patients suffering from clinical depression, psychotherapy is recommended, as well as the use of antidepressants and other prescribed antidepressants only.It is also possible the use of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), or so-called electroconvulsive therapy.This procedure is recommended in those instances where traditional therapies were ineffective depression.
Whatever the treatment of depression are not prescribed by a doctor, it is important to understand that no treatment will give instant results.You may have to try several antidepressants to find the most appropriate drug for you.Furthermore, to realize effective antidepressant or not, it should be taken for several weeks.Therefore, it is important to remain patient and not lose heart.Trust your doctor and his medical decisions - this will help you find an option to treat depression that is right for you.
What are antidepressants?
Antidepressants - psychotropic drugs, uplifting and relieves anxiety anxiety - how to distinguish normal from disease? .Antidepressants help fight causeless sadness and despair who feel depressed patients.Unlike benzodiazepine tranquilizers, antidepressants are not addictive, and withdrawal of, and have few side effects.
How do antidepressants?
accepted that depression is caused by a decrease in the concentration of the three neurotransmitters in the synapses of the brain: norepinephrine, serotonin and dopamine.Neurotransmitters act as an intermediary in the transmission of electrical signals (information) between neurons in the brain.Antidepressants regulate the concentration of one or more of these mediators and adjust the mechanisms of the brain, which have been violated as a result of depression.
Which group of antidepressants exist?
There are several groups of antidepressants:
- selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (RSSI).RSSI block reuptake (reuptake) of serotonin, thereby increasing the concentration of this mediator.Inhibitors affect serotonin without affecting other neurotransmitters therefore hardly cause side effects.This group includes fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), fluvoxamine (duvoks) and sertraline (Zoloft).
- reuptake inhibitors of serotonin and norepinephrine (SNRI).SNRIs increase the concentration of serotonin and norepinephrine, are characterized by minimal side effects and good tolerability.By IOZNS include venlafaxine (velaksin), duloxetine (Cymbalta), milnacipran (Ixel).
- Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs).TCAs increase the brain concentration of serotonin and noradrenaline by reducing the absorption of neurons.Tricyclic antidepressants operates faster than other groups of drugs, but have more side effects.As a rule, they are administered when other antidepressants have failed.
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).IMOA prevents the action of the enzyme monoamine oxidase contained in the nerve endings.This enzyme breaks down neurotransmitters such as serotonin and norepinephrine.MAOIs are the main feniuzin, tranylcypromine and isocarboxazid.Monoamine oxidase inhibitors are administered in the last turn, when all other treatments have failed.MAOIs interact with the substances contained in certain foods (cheese, wine) and medicines, so taking MAOIs should be accompanied by a strict diet.
There antidepressants that do not belong to any of the groups described as different from them as the chemical composition and mechanism of action.
Why treat depression prescribed stimulants?
sometimes in conjunction with antidepressants prescribed stimulant or anti-anxiety drugs, especially if the patient, in addition to depression Depression - a little more than a bad mood , there is both a mental illness Mental illness - ashamed to ask for help? .But these drugs are not effective in treating depression when taken without antidepressants.
What is the role of psychotherapy in the treatment of depression?
essence of psychotherapy in the treatment of depression is to teach the patient to recognize and manage their emotions Emotions and culture: how to decipher the emotional code and feelings.This ability will help the patient to deal with daily stress and enhance the action of medications.There are several types of psychotherapy, such as individual, family or group.Your doctor will help you choose the most suitable option for you.