Neurasthenia - another gift of civilization
- neurasthenia - another gift of civilization
In the 19th century described the disease, which is called neurasthenia.In Greek, the term means "nervous exhaustion."It believes that it is most common among the educated part of the population and is caused by exposure to various environmental factors - the fact that today is called stress factors.Neurasthenia is still diagnosed in some eastern countries;in the west, however, fatigue, consider it a major feature, often considered a symptom of other disorders.
Some psychiatrists say that the disorder that is now called chronic fatigue syndrome has a significant resemblance to neurasthenia.
The term neurasthenia began to be used in 1896.After some time, Freud used it to describe a fundamental disorder of mental functioning.After this term mistakenly used to refer to almost every neurosis Neurosis - reaction to the nervous shock ;particularly widespread it was in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.In the Victorian era, doctors extracted some kind of neurasthenia, including - tropical neurasthenia, which suffered Europeans living in the tropical colonies.
In 1980, neurasthenia was excluded from the Manual of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of mental disorders, but it is included in the section F48 of ICD-10 (International Classification of Diseases).
symptoms of neurasthenia
neurasthenia - a mental disorder caused by stress or anxiety anxiety - how to distinguish normal from disease? .Its symptoms:
- weakness or fatigue, which may be accompanied by pain in the heart;
- palpitations and / or tachycardia Tachycardia - the body to the limit? ;
- cold, wet hands and feet;
- rapid breathing;
- dizziness or fainting;
- sweating for no apparent reason;
- anxiety and restlessness.
diagnostic criteria for neurasthenia
- severe fatigue even after minor mental or physical effort;alternating state of excitement and depression.
- presence of at least one of these symptoms: muscle pain, dizziness, dull headaches, sleep disturbance, inability to relax, irritability Irritability - Try to control your mood .
- Failure to recuperate with the help of rest, enjoy your vacation, distracted from the problems.
- Restless sleep often - disturbing the patient's dreams.
- presence of these symptoms for three months or more.
- absence of organic mental disorders, affective disorder, panic or generalized anxiety disorder.
Facts about neurasthenia
exact cause of neurasthenia is unknown, but presumably contributing factors are heredity, stress, pressure from society, family, and so on, the weakness of the nervous system.
neurasthenia is most common among men aged 20 to 55 years.
For the treatment of neurasthenia previously been recommended rest, balanced diet and moderate physical activity.
Despite the fact that neurosis is not removed from the International Classification of Diseases, now doctors are rarely diagnosed with this condition.In some Eastern countries, however, neurasthenia is socially acceptable diagnosis for the avoidance of stigmatization, which entails diagnosis in humans of a more serious mental disorder.
Western experts are now considering neurasthenia rather as a behavioral rather than a mental disorder associated with the cultural characteristics of the patient.The ICD-10 also talk about the impact of cultural factors on the symptoms of neurasthenia.