Cold and pregnancy: how to cope with the crisis?
- Colds and pregnancy: how to cope with the crisis?
- immunity and pregnancy
- critical period in the development of pregnancy
During pregnancy, hormones are slightly weakened immune system, otherwise it might tear away the fruit, taking him for a foreign and potentially dangerous element.That is why many pregnant women often suffer from colds, flu, and some other diseases.
How to reduce the risk of colds during pregnancy?
You can strengthen your immune system with the help of a healthy diet, which should include as many vegetables and fruits.They contain antioxidants such as vitamin C, which help the body to better resist infections.As during pregnancy, a woman needs more vitamins than usual, be sure to take vitamin supplements.It's best to buy prenatal vitamins - it contains all the necessary for you and your child, and vitamins and minerals.They are no substitute for a healthy diet, but complement it.
In addition, to protect themselves from the cold, it is important to have a good rest and manage stress.Be prepared for the fact that the hormones of pregnancy make you more emotionally vulnerable and learn to control their emotions.Stress - is not so much the event itself, but your reaction to it.Regular stress weakens the immune system.
OTC cough and cold
Pregnant women in any case can not take non-prescription medication without first consulting your doctor.Safety of many of them pregnant women and unborn children has not been tested in clinical trials, so it is not known how they can affect your health and the health of your baby.
Contrary to popular belief, pregnant women can take antibiotics - but not all.In no event should not take antibiotics that are prescribed to you earlier, even if you had similar symptoms.Furthermore, expectant mothers should be aware that they should take antibiotics only when absolutely necessary.As a rule, the need for colds does not arise.
safe treatment of colds
Most colds can be cured safe for pregnant women household and some non-prescription drugs.Saline solution for rinsing the mouth and nose instillation - the perfect remedy for the common cold.When a severe headache, you can take acetaminophen.Ibuprofen and aspirin can be dangerous for a child.
If you have caught a cold, drink as much liquids just water, water mixed with a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice, freshly squeezed fruit juices.Do inhalations: Heat water in a large pot, when it will begin to rise over the steam to drip two or three drops of essential oil of eucalyptus, peppermint Mint and its useful properties: aromatic freshness , pine or cedar, bend over the pot, coverhead with a towel and inhale the steam several minutes.This will facilitate breathing and soften the throat;moreover, evaporation of some oils have antimicrobial activity.
Drink warm milk with honey and cinnamon.Prepare a drink: Mix the fresh juices of orange, grapefruit and lemon, put on a slow fire.Add to cinnamon, ginger, and optionally, nutmeg and other spices.Heat to 50-60 degrees drink and drink.Some vitamins thus destroyed, but not all.But this drink has the same warming effect as mulled wine, are pregnant, of course, is contraindicated.
When you need to see a doctor?
Most colds manage to cope on their own, but if the symptoms persist for a week or more, it is necessary to consult a doctor.In addition, the urgent need to seek professional help if the symptoms are similar to cold symptoms, followed by severe diarrhea and / or fever.These symptoms may indicate food poisoning Food poisoning: how to avoid becoming a victim of its own stomach and other potentially dangerous condition.
How to facilitate a cold?
Fortunately, there are quite harmless ways that can ease the symptoms of colds during pregnancy or even prevent the disease altogether.
- Try to relax as much as possible.Get enough sleep, spend time with your favorite book or movie.Many expectant mothers today continue to work most of the pregnancy.They need to learn the art of dealing with stress (eg, meditation) and be sure to rest well after hours.Drained stress the body is particularly vulnerable to colds.
- Drink more fluids.Water flushes toxins from the body and, therefore, making it healthier and stronger.It should also be more likely to drink tea, especially green, and broths.Herbal teas can also be helpful, but some herbs are contraindicated for pregnant women.First use any herb, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
- Drink orange juice and other juices rich in vitamin C. It is an excellent source of ascorbic acid and other nutrients that can help you cope with the cold, and will benefit future baby.
- Take prenatal vitamins.Their importance to the pregnant woman can hardly be overestimated.Ideally, the person should receive all the necessary nutrients from food, in reality, it is difficult to implement, especially during pregnancy, when the need for vitamins significantly increased.In addition, be sure to include in your diet citrus, strawberries (if you do not have allergies to them), melon, kiwi, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, spinach and turkey meat, beef, lean pork, seafood, yogurt,cereal, oatmeal, eggs.
- Eat fresh garlic Garlic health: almost a panacea .It has long been known remedy for colds.Eat it just like that, added to salads or mixed with honey.Similar effects have many spices - cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, any kind of pepper, ginger Ginger and most unexpected, but pleasant useful properties .Add them to meals and drinks - they will protect you from colds, and will give a new taste sensation.
- winter, when the apartment has central heating, use a humidifier.It is also worth to buy aroma lamp and a set of oils - among them must be the essential oils of eucalyptus, pine, fir, peppermint.They purify the air, accelerate recovery from colds and are perfectly safe during pregnancy.
- If you do catch a cold, throat caress brine and bury him in the nose.Do inhalations using concoctions of herbs or essential oils.
- In very severe pain can take acetaminophen.Aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen are not recommended for pregnant women because they can lead to abnormalities in the developing fetus and / or cause premature birth.Before taking any painkillers or cough medications, consult your doctor or pharmacist - medicines may contain other potentially dangerous substances for pregnant women.