- galactorrhea when the body signals about trouble
- Diagnosis and treatment
Galactorrhea - a disorder that is characterized like milk discharge from the nipples, not associated with breastfeeding.Galactorrhea in itself is not a disease;a sign of underlying disease.Although most often seen in women, galactorrhea can begin in men and, sometimes, even in infants.
galaktorei symptoms are:
- continuous or intermittent discharge from the nipples, like milk, with no traces of blood;
- discharge may appear as themselves, and as a result of pressure on the nipple;
- struck by one or both breasts;
- absence of menstruation or irregular periods;
- Headaches and / or blurred vision.
Consult your doctor if you have one or both nipples secrete milk, and you are not pregnant or nursing.It is unlikely that this is a sign of cancer, but in any case should consult a doctor.
Other discharge from the nipples, especially blood or yellowish, are more troubling signs - they
Galactorrhea often the result of excessive production of prolactin - the hormone responsible for milk production (lactation) after delivery.Prolactin pituitary gland, a gland located in the brain.The pituitary gland produces and regulates the activity of several other hormones, prolactin apart.
Possible causes galactorrhea:
- Medications, such as some tranquilizers, antidepressants and drugs used to treat high blood pressure;
- Some natural remedies, such as fennel, anise or fenugreek;
- birth control pills;
- noncancerous pituitary tumor (prolactinoma), or other disorders associated with the pituitary gland;
- Reduced thyroid activity thyroid gland - is responsible for your hormones (hypothyroidism);
- Chronic kidney disease;
- Excessive stimulation of the breast, which may be associated with sexual activity, skin rash, prolonged friction of clothing, and other factors;Nerve damage
- chest wall as a result of surgery, a burn or other trauma;
- Surgery, trauma or tumor affecting the spinal cord.
Sometimes the cause of galactorrhea can not be established in this case speak of idiopathic galaktoree.This may mean that your breast tissue is particularly sensitive to the hormone prolactin.Thus, even normal prolactin level can lead to galactorrhea.
Development galaktorei in men may be associated with testosterone deficiency Five myths about testosterone and is usually accompanied by an increase, and breast tenderness.Low testosterone levels can also cause decreased libido and erectile dysfunction.
galactorrhea in infants is usually caused by estrogen Estrogen - the key to healthy bones mothers who during pregnancy in large quantities into the blood of the child.
How is the disease and what steps are being taken
used for diagnostic techniques such as normal physical examination, analysis of discharge, a blood test to check the level of prolactin in the body.If it is raised, make another analysis - on thyroid hormones Thyroid hormones: mechanism of action and physiological effects .
If symptoms galaktorei appeared in sexually active women who do a pregnancy test.
If you suspect that the cancer is performed mammography, ultrasound, or a survey with the help of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
method for treating galaktorei depends on its cause.If it is caused by medications, your doctor may change the dose or stop the drug.When the cause of hypothyroidism are galactorrhea or prolaktoma, drugs used to treat these diseases.
idiopathic galaktoree usually prescribe medications that reduce the production of prolactin, such as bromocriptine (Parlodel) or cabergoline (Dostinex).After treatment, discharge from the nipples are significantly reduced or completely stopped.
If symptoms galaktorei persist despite treatment, or if the patient for some reason can not take certain medicines, may be assigned to surgery.During such operation of both breasts may be removed ducts.
In many cases, however, galactorea runs itself.In order not to encourage the emergence of new selections, avoid touching the nipples, and wear clothes and underwear, which minimize the friction of the fabric of the chest.