Cerebral Palsy (abbreviated CP) - a disease caused by brain damage, usually appear in early childhood and is characterized by motor disabilities: paralysis, muscle weakness, loss of coordination, involuntary movements.Over time, cerebral palsy is not exacerbated, because it is not a progressive disease.Although cerebral palsy amazed muscles, not the nerves and muscles are the cause of this disease.
Cerebral palsy is usually caused by injury or trauma area of the brain that controls muscle movement, before birth, during birth or soon after.Studies have shown that the natives of Asia, particularly South India and Sri Lanka, are particularly prone to cerebral palsy.High levels of melanin pigment in the skin contributes to gene mutations, accelerating onset.Learn about the symptoms, possible causes and treatment of cerebral palsy.
Symptoms of cerebral palsy
Cerebral Palsy is usually easy to be diagnosed at an early age, when the child is less than three years old.In severe cases, the disea
- Ataxia - a disorder of coordination of the muscles in the performance of elementary movements
- spasticity - muscle strain or spasm and strain reflexes
- stepping walking not on the whole foot, and toe
- Privolakivanie legs
- Failure to maintain a balance
- uneven, staggering gait
- too busy or relaxed muscle tone
- Some children with cerebral palsy develops as a result of suffering an early age infectious diseases of the brain, such as bacterial meningitis Bacterial meningitis - infection causes .
- in children with congenital cerebral palsy severe bad posture, their body is too relaxed or, conversely, is stressful.Curvature of the spine, underdeveloped lower jaw, small head - birth defects related to this disease.
These symptoms as children get older may increase or remain unchanged.
Such diseases and disorders like spasms, cramps, epilepsy, speech disorders, sensory disorders, mental retardation, learning disabilities, also called secondary symptoms, verycommon.
Cerebral Palsy also occurs as a result of traumatic brain injury or severe psychological.
causes of cerebral palsy
exact cause of cerebral palsy is not yet established, and although doctors are discussing this issue for several decades to a conclusion they did not come.This defect is not usually associated with a single disease, but a number of disorders.The most common causes of cerebral palsy:
- likelihood of cerebral palsy in preterm infants is much higher than that of high-grade.
- This disease is especially susceptible children at birth asphyxia, or have been subjected to birth trauma Birth injuries - than they threaten your child? .
- If after the birth of the child does not cry during the first five minutes of life or if left in an incubator for four weeks or more, or if there has been bleeding in the brain, increases the likelihood of infection and, therefore, increased and the risk of cerebral palsy.
- Twins If you have twins, ten Smiles triplets or low birth weight, which makes them vulnerable to the development of cerebral palsy.
- certain type of infection can be passed from mother to child during and after childbirth, which can also lead to cerebral palsy.
- increased likelihood of cerebral palsy during birth in breech presentation, from the use of analgesics or rupture of amniotic membrane (this may cause of infection).
- likelihood of cerebral palsy is higher in children who had a head injury, meningitis Meningitis - an inflammation of the meninges or bleeding in the brain.
- exact cause of cerebral palsy in each case can not be established.
treatment of cerebral palsy
Unfortunately, from cerebral palsy can not be completely cured, but treatment will improve the child's condition.Treatment of cerebral palsy is conducted primarily through the exercise of physical and mental functions, which can reduce the severity of the neurological defect.To improve muscle function using physical therapy and occupational therapy.Treatment in the early stages of the disease helps to partially overcome the defects in development, helping to learn how to carry out the necessary actions and objectives.With proper treatment of cerebral palsy child can learn to live an almost normal life.Here are the possible treatment of cerebral palsy:
- Speech therapy (sessions in speech therapy) - helps to learn to control the muscles in the mouth, to deal with problems with chewing and articulation of sounds.
- Physiotherapy and occupational therapy - helps to maximize the functions of the body and take the individual restrictions imposed by the disease to the patient further was able to lead a more or less independent life.
- Drug treatment helps to control seizures, relieves muscle spasms and pain
- use of orthopedic appliances such as braces
- use wheelchairs
- Surgery to correct anatomical deformities and relax tense muscles
- use of communication tools, such as computers andspeech synthesizers.