Chicory - maximum benefit and minimal harm
Herbal medicine - one of the oldest methods of treatment.Over time, it only grows in popularity as herbal medicines have a milder action less likely to cause complications always incorporate vitamins and other biologically active substances, and therefore have a positive effect on the whole organism.
chicory Chicory - herbaceous perennial plant that belongs to the family Asteraceae, and has a powerful high rough stalk (up to 1.2 m) long and fleshy root.Basal leaves of chicory pinnate, lanceolate, alternate.Flowers bright blue with reed petals, collected in the axils of leaves in the inflorescence.It blooms from June to September.Before the start of flowering chicory few years consists only of basal leaves.The fruits - achenes ripen in July-September.
chicory growing in central Russia, the North Caucasus, the Urals, western Siberia in dry sunny places.With the purpose of treatment using roots, flower baskets, the tops of plants, fruits and juice.
chemical composition and medicinal properties
The chicory root contains glycosides (eg tsikorin, which has a calming, choleretic, anti-inflammatory and diuretic effect), a polysaccharide inulin (a natural stimulant of the normal intestinal microflora - prebiotic)pectins (gelled intercellular substance - they belong to the polysaccharides and possess antimicrobial activity and protivotoksicheskoe), a small amount of vegetable proteins, simple sugars (glucose, levulose), tannins (stopped diarrhea), B-vitamins (including choline).The above-ground parts of the plant also contains a large amount of inulin.
chicory normalizes metabolism improves metabolism and losing weight without dieting , displays the body of toxins and metabolic products (including "harmful "cholesterol), improves appetite, stimulates the digestive glands, promotes removal of stagnation in the biliary tract and gall bladder, restores normal intestinal flora, soothes, normalizes heart rate (heart begins to decline much more rarely), has a diuretic, anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory,astringent (stops diarrhea), antitumor and antipyretic effect.
The use of chicory in medicine
Chicory has long been used to treat a variety of diseases, since it has many medicinal properties.Currently, it is used for:
- metabolic disorders, including obesity, atherosclerosis, gout Gout - the "disease of kings» , tendency to form stones in the kidneys and biliary tract, metabolic diseases of joints and spine;
- in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, including the stomach and pancreas Diabetes and pancreas - the things you need to know , bowel (especially at dysbacteriosis), violation of appetite, diarrhea;
- for liver and biliary tract (violations of motor activity of the biliary tract, bile stasis, inflammation of the gallbladder);
- with nervousness, irritability, weakness post serious illness;
- in the complex therapy for patients with diabetes mellitus - threatening and incurable disease (slightly reduced blood sugar);
- as an aid in various tumors;
- as an external agent in the treatment of various skin diseases, wounds, bites of animals and insects, conjunctivitis, stomatitis, inflammation of the joints (arthritis).
contraindications for the use of chicory are idiosyncrasy plants, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcers, compulsive coughing (it can be amplified).
How to prepare chicory and cook from it at home medicine
chicory aerial parts harvested during the flowering and dried in the shade outdoors.The roots dug in autumn, washed thoroughly with cold water, cut into small pieces and dried in an oven at a low temperature.
Medications chicory can be prepared in the following ways:
- infusion reception inside: a tablespoon of crushed roots and herbs, pour a glass of boiling water chicory (get the daily dose for one person), insisting for two hours, strain and take 1 /3- 1/4 cup 3-4 times a day 30 minutes before meals;
- tincture for external use: four tablespoons of crushed roots and herbs chicory pour two cups of boiling water for two hours and used for topical treatment, making the lotion several times a day;
- fresh juice of chicory: the tops of plants with flowers, crushed in a meat grinder, squeeze the juice and take it on a teaspoon three times a day, adding it into milk;
- dried herbs steamed in boiling water, wrapped in a thick cloth and put to severe pain in the joints.
Chicory - a real natural pharmacy, but in order to correctly apply this wealth, it is better to consult a doctor first.