- Mifepristone: medical termination of pregnancy by a French pharmacist
Mifepristone - a drug from the group antiprogestagenov.It blocks the progesterone receptors in the uterus, thereby reducing the effectiveness of the natural hormone progesterone.
Progesterone plays an important role in maintaining pregnancy - in particular, it provides a successful implantation of a fertilized egg in the uterine wall and prevents muscle contractions of the uterus during pregnancy.By blocking progesterone receptors in the uterus, mifepristone significantly reduces the levels of progesterone Progesterone - norm and pathology and because of that pregnancy can not continue.Termination of pregnancy can only occur as a result of mifepristone, but sometimes to remove the fetus from the uterus require surgery.
taking mifepristone possible only under medical supervision.
Why use mifepristone?
- Termination of pregnancy in the first trimester (up to 63 days)
- relaxation and expansion of the cervix before surgical termination of pregnancy
- prepare the uterus for the use of prostaglandins, when it is necessary to have an abortion in the period after three months of pregnancy
- Evoke birthif the pregnancy is interrupted (fetal death occurred)
Mifepristone can only be used for abortion, and only under the supervision of a qualified healthcare professional.
2-3 weeks after mifepristone the patient should undergo a thorough medical examination.
Mifepristone can not be taken if there is any doubt in the presence of pregnancy or her term.If for any reason mifepristone did not work, pregnancy is likely to continue to evolve.Since the effects of Mifepristone is associated with a high risk of serious birth defects in the fetus, pregnancy will need to interrupt some other way.
After one or two days after mifepristone vaginal bleeding starts, which can last up to 12 days.In the case of very abundant and / or abnormally prolonged bleeding should be as soon as possible to see a doctor.
chance of pregnancy shortly after the use of mifepristone is large enough.To avoid this, before the next menstrual period is necessary to use reliable methods of contraception, such as condoms.
Mifepristone should be used with extreme caution when:
- presence of risk factors for cardiovascular disease such as high blood cholesterol and high blood pressure
- variety of heart problems, such as infectious endocarditis or artificial heart valve
- blood disease, in particular with anemia
Mifepristone contraindications are:
- Ectopic pregnancy
- severe uncontrolled asthma
- porphyria (an inherited blood disease)
- Reduced kidney function
- Reduced liver function
Moreover, this medication can not be used if you are allergic to its ingredients.If signs of an allergic reaction after taking should seek immediate medical attention.
most common side effects of mifepristone are strong vaginal bleeding, pain and cramping in the lower abdomen.
Less mifepristone is associated with genital infections (including pelvic infection), disorders of the intestine How to organize the work of the intestine - a phased process (and the appearance of symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea) and low blood pressure.Very rarely mifepristone causes side effects such as skin rash, headache, hot flashes, malaise and dizziness Dizziness - if the ground is slipping from under his feet .
extremely rare, less than one patient out of ten thousand, developing potentially fatal toxic shock caused by microorganisms Clostridium sordellii.
following medications can slow the breakdown of mifepristone in the body and enhance its action and / or increase the risk of side effects:
- Antibiotics such as erythromycin, rifampin
- antifungals, such as itraconazole and ketoconazole
- Corticosteroids such as beclomethasone, prednisolone, prednisolone - against inflammation, allergy and pain, but with complications
- Phenobarbital Phenytoin
- St. John's wort and various preparations made based on it