Due to the fact that during pregnancy the liquid longer than usual, stagnate in the tissues of the body, many expectant mothers swollen calf, foot and even toes.By the end of the day, especially in hot weather, or if you had to spend a lot of time on their feet, in the lower part of the body accumulate a lot of fluids.The gradual formation of leg edema in pregnancy during the day does not cause serious damage, but causes some discomfort, since shoes tend to get too close.
How to avoid swelling of feet during pregnancy
These simple measures will help both to prevent the occurrence of swelling and relieve discomfort, if the feet had swollen:
- Try not to carry out on their feet for several hours.If you are running from time to time sit down and pull the legs to give them rest;
- Wear comfortable shoes;Avoid sandals with thin straps and any other shoe that compresses the legs when formed swelling;
- When you are relaxing at home, raise your feet up - they should be above the level of your heart.Lie down on the couch, put his feet on his back, and try to hold in this position for at least one hour per day.
very effective against edema are the exercises for the legs.They improve blood circulation, reduce swelling and prevent seizures.They can perform when you are standing or sitting.
- 30 times in a row as much as possible pull the toe of the foot, and then pull it toward you, feeling the stretch leg muscles.Repeat the exercise for 30 times the other leg;
- Perform rotation foot eight times one way, another eight - to another;
- repeatedly rises on tiptoe, feeling the tension in the muscles of the legs.
When swelling of the feet should cause concern
Seek medical help if the legs, arms or face swell suddenly.The reason for this can be a dangerous condition that occurs in some pregnant women - pre-eclampsia.This abuse need immediate help of experts, because it can be dangerous for both mother and child.
Besides edema, signs of pre-eclampsia can be severe headaches, vision problems (eg, blurred vision, or flickering before the eyes), severe pain atribs and vomiting.
Factors that increase the risk of pre-eclampsia:
- Age older than 40 years;
- lack of parity;
- After the last pregnancy took place more than ten years;
- Preeclampsia family history;
- body mass index of 30 or more;
- Cardiovascular disease, including high blood pressure, a history of the patient;
- kidney disease;
- multiple pregnancy.
patient, which include one or more of these risk factors, with the appearance of leg edema swelling of the legs - do not leave without attention , causing significant discomfort should undergo additional medical examination, without waiting for the occurrence of more serious symptoms.