Mumps - a contagious viral infection that is most common in children.She, like the flu and many other diseases, is transmitted by airborne droplets.Man is most contagious during the first two days before symptoms appear and for five days after symptoms appeared.
Symptoms Symptoms of mumps usually appear 14-25 days after infection;The average incubation period is seventeen days.
most common and recognizable symptom of mumps - inflammation of the parotid and salivary glands.They are located on either side of the face just below the ears.In most cases, both are affected gland, although sometimes increases only one of them.The inflammation can cause pain, increased sensitivity in the neck and difficulty swallowing.
Other symptoms of mumps:
- pain in the joints;
- malaise, nausea;
- dry mouth;
- Weak abdominal pain Abdominal pain: Types and Symptoms ;
- fatigue, lethargy;
- lack of appetite;
- High body temperature (from 38C and higher).
When you need to see
If you suspect a pig in a child should be as soon as possible to see a doctor.Although this disease is not dangerous symptoms of the mumps, may indicate a more serious infectious diseases.So you should be screened to make sure that the child really pig.
causative agent of mumps is a virus that belongs to the paramyxovirus family.While infecting the virus through the respiratory tract enters the parotid gland, where it begins to multiply.This causes inflammation and swollen glands.The virus is transmitted by contact with the saliva of an infected person to air, as well as various surface - such as a table, a door handle, towels, and so forth.
mumps usually diagnosed based on symptoms, especially this characteristic as an increase in the salivary glands.To confirm the diagnosis, your doctor may prescribe a blood test or urine;this is usually done in the presence of particularly severe symptoms or complications.
Currently there are no antiviral drugs that could be cured pig.Therefore, the goal of treatment is to relieve symptoms as long as the body's immune system to fight infection.Patients with mumps patients are recommended:
- How much rest until the symptoms disappear pigs;
- Take nonprescription pain relievers, such as ibuprofen, aspirin or acetaminophen (aspirin should not be given to children under sixteen years of age);
- applied to the neck of the cold and warm compresses;
- Eat foods that do not need to chew - for example, soups, mashed potatoes, some oatmeal.
If within seven days of no improvement, or sudden symptoms are aggravated, should consult a doctor.
to prevent infection of other people with a minimum of five days after the onset of symptoms should not go to school or work.He needs to wash their hands frequently with soap and warm water, cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing, and use separate utensils and towels.
Complications of mumps
- inflammation of the testicles.This complication occurs in one in five young people and men who have suffered from mumps after puberty Puberty child - stages of a complex path .The first signs of inflammation of the testicles appear between the fourth and eighth day after an inflammation of the salivary glands.In some cases it is only six weeks later.Normally, inflammation occurs suddenly and affects only one testicle.It becomes unusually warm to the touch, touching it causes pain.Typically, the pain can be alleviated by using OTC analgesics;if they do not help, ask your doctor to prescribe a more potent analgesic.Cold compresses and supports sports underwear also help to cope with signs of inflammation.
- Inflammation passes in a few days;In some cases, one egg is slightly reduced in size - typically, it does not affect the potency or human fertility.
- Viral meningitis Meningitis - an inflammation of the meninges may develop if the mumps virus penetrated mater;This occurs in one of the seven patients mumps.Unlike bacterial meningitis, which is potentially life-threatening disease, viral meningitis Viral meningitis - it is not uncommon causes less severe symptoms similar to flu symptoms, and the risk of serious complications of this disease is insignificant.Common symptoms of viral meningitis are sensitivity to light and vomiting.Symptoms usually disappear within fourteen days.
- inflammation of the ovaries.One in twenty women infected with mumps after puberty, inflammation of the ovaries, which are symptoms of abdominal pain, high fever, malaise.
- Pancreatitis.One of twenty cases mumps leads to the development of pancreatitis.The most common symptom of this disease is sudden pain in the center of the upper part of the abdominal parish.Other symptoms of pancreatitis - malaise, diarrhea, nausea, loss of appetite, fever, abdominal pain.
more rare complications of mumps are encephalitis (develops in 1 in 1,000 cases), and permanent hearing loss (1 out of 20,000 cases).If you suspect a severe complication of mumps have to seek urgent medical help.