called birth trauma injuries suffered as a result of complications of child birth.Birth injuries vary greatly in severity.
Most birth defects are not the result of medical errors.However, if the parents believe that a child is injured because of an error doctor, they can contact a lawyer to get along with him to establish what really happened, and whether it makes sense to solve the matter in court.
most common birth injuries
- hematoma.Sometimes the body of the newborn are just bruises due to the passage through the birth canal, or from contact with the mother's pelvic bone.The most common are bruising on his head.If during labor used forceps on the baby's head can also be a hematoma.In rare cases, the use of forceps leads to the appearance of dents on the skull - if this happens, the surgeon should be consulted.Subconjunctival hemorrhage
- - common birth trauma, in which around one or both pupils of the child appear bright red patches on the whites of the eyes.It is not associated with a serious eye injury, and bleeding symptoms disappear completely within a period of a week to ten days.
- Generic swelling on the head of the fetus is often a consequence of the vacuum extraction of the fetus.The swelling usually disappears within a few days after birth.
- cephalohematoma - so called a hematoma, which is formed between the bone and the adjacent fibrous tissue.As a result of childbirth cephalohematoma can be formed on the head of a newborn.It usually disappears within a period of two weeks to three months, but especially large cephalohematoma requires medical assistance.The reasons may be kefalogematomy abnormal position of the baby before birth, the large size of the child, the anomalies in the structure of the pelvis of the mother.
- facial paralysis.The pressure on the face of a child during childbirth or use of forceps can cause damage to facial nerves of newborn.If the nerves are only slightly damaged, paralysis usually takes a few weeks.In more severe cases, the treatment may require surgical intervention.
- brachial plexus injury - is the common name of birth injury that result from damage to the brachial plexus (group of nerves that control the movement of the arms).Such birth defects are often the result of a so-called shoulder dystocia - complications of childbirth in which the child's shoulders hinder passage through the birth canal.If the injury of the brachial plexus caused only bruising and swelling, the child usually recovers within three months.In more severe cases, possible permanent damage, and to cope with them, need physical therapy or surgery.
- Fractures.Among the birth defects of this type is the most common fracture of the clavicle fracture clavicle - children at risk ;usually such injuries newborns obtained by serious complications genera.In most cases the child shortly after recovering immobilizing bones.
- brain damage.Complications of labor can lead to a lack of oxygen or blood loss as a result of compression of the umbilical cord.Prolonged lack of oxygen can cause brain damage, which, in turn, can lead to epilepsy Epilepsy - a sacred disease , cerebral palsy and mental retardation.
Causes birth defects
Probability of birth injury is greatest during the complicated birth.Common causes are childbirth complications following factors:
- size of the child.If the child's weight exceeds four kilos, the risk of getting a birth trauma increases significantly.Children with low birth weight and were born to term (before 37 weeks gestation) is also subject to various birth trauma.
- Clinical narrow pelvis - a feature of the structure of the mother's body, which can make it difficult labor, and lead to birth trauma.
- breech - a condition in which a child at the time of birth is in the womb feet first, also significantly increases the likelihood of birth defects.
If during previous births to a woman of her children received birth defects or complications arise, which did not lead to injury, the doctor will take the following generations, must know about it.
reason for birth trauma can also be a medical error.The most common ones are:
- Failure to anticipate birth complications that arise due to the large size of the baby or health problems in the mother;
- Failure to time to stop the bleeding and to eliminate its consequences;
- Failure doctors to notice problems, such as compression of the umbilical cord, the irregular heartbeat of the fetus, and so on;
- later appointment cesarean section in cases where it is medically necessary;
- Misuse of forceps or a vacuum extractor during delivery;
- Improper use of pitocin - a synthetic analogue of the hormone oxytocin, which is used to speed up the delivery.
In some cases, birth trauma causes inattention medical staff, for example, if the hospital staff do not have time to notice signs of infection of the newborn, the pathogens which entered his body during childbirth.