- Autism in children: the warning signs
- Triad disorders
Autism -It is a brain disorder that often leads to difficulties in communication.In the case of autism parts of the brain do not work properly together.Most people with autism have problems communicating with others.However, early diagnosis and treatment to help a growing number of autism reach their potential.
What causes autism in children
Autism often manifests itself in families, so experts consider it a hereditary disease.Scientists are trying to figure out which genes are responsible for autism.
Other researchers are finding out whether the lie is not the cause of autism or other diseases in the child's environment.
Some people think that childhood vaccines cause autism.However, no studies have confirmed this.Timely vaccination is very important to children's health.
Who is affected by autism
Autism - a disease more common than man
Autism occur in people of all nationalities, cultures, religions and social backgrounds.
But studies show that this disease affects men more often than women.It is an incurable disease.Children suffering from autism are living with the disease throughout his life.
cause of autism in children
have autism, as far as is currently known, there is no one particular reason.It is believed that the cause of this illness becomes a combination of two factors:
- Genetic problems.With the development of autism linked several genes.Some of them cause a child predisposition.Others affect the development of the brain or at the way brain cells interact.Certain genes may also affect the severity of symptoms.Each problem associated with certain genes individually may not have serious consequences, but together they lead to the development of the disease.Some genetic problems leading to autism are hereditary, others appear spontaneously.
- external factors.Viral infections, pregnancy complications and air pollution, presumably, can become triggers of autism in children.
- sex of the baby.Boys 4-5 times more likely to suffer from autism than girls.
- family history.If a family had a child autistic, there is an increased likelihood that in the future, these parents also will be born children with this disorder.In addition, parents or relatives of autistic children often observed social problems and communication difficulties - usually mild.
What are the symptoms
symptoms always occur before the age of three years.Usually parents notice that their toddler has not started talking and does not behave like other children his age.However, it sometimes happens that a child begins to speak, and then loses speech skills.
Delay in development of speech, or the child does not begin to say.It may seem that the child can not hear, even if the survey shows that it is not deaf.
repetitive, sometimes excessively, behaviors, interests and games.For example, a child all the time swinging abnormally attached to certain objects or very upset when changing the usual course of things.
There is no "typical autistic."The people there are many different manifestations of autism, from mild to severe.
Parents of children suffering from autism often report that the child prefers to play alone and does not come into eye contact with other people.
Autism in children may also include the following issues:
- Many children intelligence below normal
- Teenagers often suffer from depression Depression - a little more than a bad mood and anxiety, especially those who have normal intelligence orabove average.
- Some children to adolescence develop seizures.
When should I see a doctor
All children develop differently, and normal that someone a little ahead or behind in the development of their age.But children with autism are some signs of the disease usually appear in the first year of life.Usually, experts recommend to be examined if the child:
- By 6 months does not smile and do not express the joy of facial expressions;
- By 9 months, does not imitate sounds and facial expressions;
- For 12 months lopochet and utters sounds similar to the word;
- For 12 months gestures;
- to 16 months does not say a single word;
- By 24 months does not say two-word phrases, and more.
At any age begins to lose previously acquired speech and social skills.
How are diagnosed with autism
Doctors have standards by which they understand, whether the child exhibits symptoms of autism.Symptoms are divided into three categories.
- social interaction and relationships.For example, a child avoids eye contact.Autistic difficult to understand other people's feelings, such as pain or sadness.
- verbal and nonverbal communication.For example, the child is not talking.Or endlessly utters the same phrase.
- limited interest.For example, young children often play with toys one part and not to the entire toy.Older children or adults can passionately interested in one narrow topic, for example, trading card or number signs.
Also, the child may be screened hearing and other similar tests to determine whether the deviations are not caused by other diseases.
Diagnosis of the disease is the formal identification, which usually carries a pediatrician or therapist.The diagnosis is important for two reasons:
- It helps people with autism (and their families) to understand why they are experiencing some difficulties, and what to do.
- diagnosis allows patients to receive the necessary medical care.
for diagnosis physician refers a patient to a specialist.Many people diagnosed with "autism" as a child.In this case, the parents or guardians may ask the attending physician referral to a specialist.
How is autism
for the treatment of autism in children using behavioral therapy.Such therapy rewards good behavior and because of this child learns social skills and communication.
In early initiation of therapy, most children with autism are unable to learn how to communicate with people and take care of themselves.
Depending on the individual characteristics of the child's treatment may include verbal or physical therapy.For the treatment of problems such as depression or obsessive-compulsive disorder, medication may be used.
Since people with autism are very different, some treatments may not be suitable for everyone.So be sure to involve all those involved in the education of the child Raising a child: who will win? , and try different methods to find the most suitable.
myths about autism
There is a myth that people with autism do not have any emotions Emotions and culture: how to decipher the emotional code .But they feel a sense of happiness, love, sadness just like everyone else.And the fact that they can not express their feelings in the same way that they express the healthy people, does not mean that they have no emotions at all.They also know how to feel.This myth, which is the result of ignorance of society, it is necessary to dispel teaching people attentive and sensitive treatment of autistic people.
Not every person with autism possess any extraordinary gift or a genius, for example, in mathematics or music.These are ordinary people, just like everyone else, but with autism.
As the family cope with raising an autistic child
important part of treatment is to rest of the family know everything you need about autism and learned to cope with the symptoms of a child.This will reduce the stress level How to beat stress?Create an oasis from other family members, and help the child.
can help in the treatment of not only doctors, but also friends, doctors, teachers, and organizations of people with similar problems.
- Plan breaks.Caring for a child with autism - a heavy daily work.Planning will help break the whole family.
- Ask for help when the child grows up, especially in the teenage years.
- Communicate with other families raising children with autism.You can discuss their problems and share advice with people who understand you.