- Impetigo - the scourge of kindergartens
Impetigo - a very contagious bacterial infection is superficial layers of the skin, which causes blisters on the skin and open wounds.Normally, impetigo is not a serious disorder, but patients should take precautions to avoid infecting other people, especially newborn babies.
types of impetigo
There are two types of impetigo:
- bullous impetigo - characterized by the appearance on the skin of a large, painless, fluid-filled blisters;
- Nebulleznoe impetigo is a self-limiting disease (a disease that passes itself);bullous impetigo is contagious and causes large blisters, which quickly burst, and in their place is formed of yellow-brown crust.
addition, impetigo can be classified as:
- primary impetigo - caused by bacteria, penetrated to the skin, which had previously been healthy, for example, through the wound;
- Secondary impetigo in which the infection is the result of another disorder, such as atopic eczema.
Nebulleznoe impetigo is the most common type of impetigo - it accounts for over 70% of cases of the disease.
impetigo most commonly affects children.This is due to their stay in an environment where infections spread easily - for example, in kindergarten or school.
In the UK, about 3% of children up to four years, and 2% of children who are between five and 14 years old get impetigo each year.In adults, impetigo develops, usually, if they live together with a large number of people in a relatively small area - for example, in the army barracks.
Symptoms Symptoms of impetigo appear no earlier than four to ten days after infection.This means that during this time people impetigo can infect others without knowing that he is infected.
first symptoms bullous impetigo is a fluid-filled blisters that usually appear on the trunk, or arms and legs.
Blisters can quickly spread in the skin;a few days later they burst in their place there is a crust, which eventually passes, leaving no scars.
blisters usually do not cause the bolt, but the skin around them may be very itchy.It is important to touch as little as possible to the affected area of the skin and in any case not to scratch them.
sometimes bullous impetigo is accompanied by symptoms such as fever and inflammation of the lymph nodes.
nebulleznogo first symptoms of impetigo are usually small red blisters, usually located in the nose and mouth.These blisters quickly burst, and in their place is a dense crust.In most cases, in place of these scars remains blisters.Fever and inflammation of the lymph nodes in nebulleznom impetigo rare, usually with severe forms of the disease.
Activators of impetigo are two types of bacteria: Staphylococcus aureus and streptococcus pyogenes.In most cases of impetigo is caused by staphylococci.
Impetigo is spread by close physical contact, as well as when using one with an infected towels, bedding, and clothing.Impetigo is more common in children because their immune system is not sufficiently strengthened.Immunity adult normally much better cope with the disease.
Diagnosis Diagnosis of impetigo is based on the existing patient's symptoms, and the exclusion of other skin diseases that have similar symptoms.
Some of these skin diseases:
- cellulitis - a bacterial infection of the deep layers of the skin and tissues beneath the skin (not to be confused with common disorder caused by malnutrition, poor metabolism Metabolism: The basis of life of all living and hormonal features);
- Rozsa - a bacterial skin infection that usually affects the face or extremities;
- Herpes simplex virus Herpes simplex - actually not so simple - contagious virus that can cause the appearance of small blisters on the mouth and genitals;
- Scabies - a contagious skin disease that causes severe itching;
- ecthyma - a bacterial infection of the deeper layers of the skin;
- candidiasis - a fungal infection fungal infection: to prevent and defeat , which causes reddening of the skin (most often - in the groin, armpits, between the toes and in the folds of the skin);
- Dermatophytosis - a skin infection, the symptoms of which are reddened, scaly skin.
- Chickenpox - a highly contagious disease that causes a rash, itching, blisters and crusting of the skin.
- Shingles Ringworm - not only infectious disease - infection of a nerve and the skin around it.Its symptoms include tingling, pain and reddish rash on one side of the body.