Impetigo in children: what you need to know
Impetigo - skin disease accompanied by the appearance on the face of painful red spots gradually become scabs.Although impetigo is not uncommon, it is an unpleasant disease can be prevented and easily cured.
What is impetigo?
skin disease most commonly affects children, impetigo is accompanied by the formation of surface bubble-pustular rash.Impetigo usually begins with the appearance of painful red spots, turns through a stage of bubbles in scab-like crusts.Particularly susceptible to stain the area around the mouth and nose, but often affected areas are the hands, feet, back of the hand.Although most of impetigo affects children, the disease can become infected people of any age.
There are several types of impetigo:
- contagious impetigo, or non-bullous impetigo is a highly contagious form of the disease caused by the bacteria streptococcus.The most common injury areas are areas of the skin around the nose, mouth, forearms and back of the hand.Combing lesions leads to the spread of infection to other parts of the body, due to which contagious impetigo is quite difficult to cure.
first stage contagious impetigo - the appearance of itchy red spots, 24 hours turn into bubbles.Within days, bubble formation dry up or burst, forming a thick brown crust.Although after the treatment the skin remains red spots, impetigo causes scars.Residual stains usually disappear within a few weeks.
- bullous impetigo Impetigo - the scourge of kindergartens caused by staph bacteria.As a rule, bullous impetigo diagnosed in children under the age of two years, accompanied by the formation of pus blisters on the skin of hands, feet, torso.Being extremely unattractive spectacle resulting from the bullous impetigo blisters are not painful to humans.Bursting, yellowish pustules form a crust that disappear with treatment.Unfortunately, the process of full recovery from bullous impetigo takes much longer than in the contagious impetigo.
- ecthyma, the most serious form of the disease, affects the dermis, the deepest layer of the skin.It is deep ulcerative skin disease, ecthyma and painful sensations, and the formation of deep ulcers, encrusted.Most often, the main area of destruction are his feet.Since the bacteria reach the dermis after treatment ecthyma high probability of scars.
causes of impetigo
The causes of impetigo are bacteria staphylococcus and streptococcus, existing on the surface of the skin and enter the body as a result ofcuts, insect bites, or other mechanical damage to the skin.The spread of bacteria occurs in many ways, including:
- scratching.These skin diseases like eczema Eczema - barely treatable , herpes, dermatitis, chickenpox, scabies Scabies - when overwhelmed mites often accompanied by the development of impetigo as itchy skin caused by these diseases, causesman combing the affected skin.Mechanical damage to the skin as a result of scratching contribute to the introduction and spread of bacteria.Even the most minor injury to the skin can cause bacterial invasion and the occurrence of impetigo.
- Contact with patients.Even in the absence of skin lesions of impetigo can be transmitted through direct contact with the patient in public places - for example, school or public transport, gym, sauna.You can become infected with impetigo, using the same items as the patient impetigo - for example, clothing, housewares, toys.
Prevention of impetigo
Thorough hygiene - a key condition for preserving the health of the skin and prevent impetigo.To prevent the disease, it is necessary:
- Implement thorough treatment of wounds, especially in the case of children.Cuts, scratches, insect bites, all types of irritation and rashes on the skin should be thoroughly cleaned and processed as they are a breeding ground for the spread of bacteria that cause impetigo.
- regularly wash their hands with soap and water.
- regular showers.
treatment of impetigo
If you notice red spots, pus bubbles or other symptoms of impetigo should immediately consult a doctor.At the initial stage of impetigo can be treated without the use of medications, but in more severe cases, usually prescribed antibiotics Antibiotics - whether they will help you in the foreseeable future? in the form of ointments or pills.
- affected skin should be kept clean by washing with warm water and soap.Before applying the ointment must remove crusts using a clean cloth;otherwise crusts obstruct the penetration of the drug into the skin.
- take antibiotics should be strictly according to the instructions of the doctor even if the symptoms of impetigo began to disappear, you must complete the course receive.Otherwise, the infection can come back and cause deterioration.
- When applying medical ointment, you must use disposable gloves or wash their hands immediately after applying the ointment to the damaged skin.This will reduce the risk of proliferation of bacteria in other parts of the body.
- To reduce itching and irritation, it is necessary to use a softening cream.
- damaged skin necessary to cover with a bandage to reduce the risk of spreading the infection to other parts of the body and infecting other people.
- not use shared towels, clothing, bed linens.Personal belongings of the patient impetigo need to wash and washed separately.
- before full treatment of impetigo should avoid hot tubs, saunas, swimming pool.