With such a common disease such as asthma, involves a lot of misconceptions.Among them - the mistaken assumption that children with asthma can not play sports or other activities that require intense physical exertion.If this were true, today famous athletes - football player David Beckham, a marathon runner Paul Radcliffe, Olympic champion Rebecca Adlington swimming and many other sports stars would not have achieved success that brought him worldwide fame.All these athletes were able to overcome asthma and their rivals in the sport.In fact, exercise and physical activity contribute to the strengthening and normalization of their lung function.
In adult asthma is considered a chronic disease, although in childhood asthma can be overcome.Asthma in young children can be successfully treated, ensuring the healthy development of the child in the future.
Diagnosis of asthma in children
Asthma affects the small bronchi or airways.The normal process of respiration involves the flow of air into
Recognize asthma in young children - a rather difficult task, because young children can not articulate their feelings and explain the reason for malaise.Furthermore, due to the fact that children bronchi far less even small obstacles may cause a reduction in airway and breathing difficulties.Also, asthma symptoms may repeat the symptoms of other common diseases.Often, asthma symptoms can be confused with symptoms of a viral infection, pneumonia, gastroesophageal reflux disease, sinusitis Sinusitis - difficult to handle alone .The key to successful diagnosis of asthma in young children - and an understanding of the correct definition of symptoms.
symptoms of asthma in children
Asthma symptoms can appear even in very young children aged up to one year.The intensity of the symptoms varies depending on the situation;symptoms may occur in individual cases or exist permanently.The most prominent symptoms of asthma in young children are considered to be a sharp fluctuation of the chest during inhalation and exhalation, cough, shortness of breath or wheezing.
The most common symptoms of childhood asthma include:
- Rapid labored breathing Wheezing
- sharp fluctuations in the chest during inhalation and exhalation
- protruding ribs
- pale or blue lips, nails, face (due to lack of incomingoxygen into the lungs)
- Feeling weak and tired
- Changing eating habits, loss of appetite
- change in the sound of crying (softer than usual)
- lack of response to familiar faces
- apathetic, lack of interest in favorite games.
peak times for the occurrence of asthma symptoms is considered to be nighttime.That night and early morning symptoms become particularly intense.The reasons for this intensification of asthma symptoms more:
- airways become more sensitive at night
- The nighttime light slightly reduced - this phenomenon is related to the circadian rhythm of the body
- night the body produces certain substances that alter the functioning of the lungs
- body temperature drops at night,and the respiratory tract cool
cause of asthma in children
Regardless of the patient's age, the exact cause of asthma can not be called doctors so far.Experts believe that the cause of the disease can be a combination of different factors.Symptoms of diseases related to the respiratory system, normally depend on what we breathe, not from what we eat.To date, scientists have managed to identify a number of factors on which to some extent depends on the emergence of asthma:
- Allergies / agent: Inhalation allergens is often a major cause of asthma in young children.The causative agent of allergic reaction Allergic reactions: how to understand why you tickle in the throat can become anything - perfume, smoke, cold air, dust, pollen, household chemicals.
- Genetics: Genetics Communication with asthma also proved by scientists, although the gene or genes that influence the inheritance of asthma is still not defined.According to statistics, in the United States 5% of young children with asthma disease is inherited by relatives.
- Child development: The immune system of a newborn is very fragile and sensitive in the first months of baby's life.The cause of asthma can be a respiratory immaturity, poor growth and development of the lungs, lung underdevelopment - all these factors make a baby more susceptible to a variety of respiratory infections, whether bronchitis Bronchitis - protection if the body has malfunctioned , sinusitis or common cold.All these diseases increase the risk of asthma in young children.
Other factors influencing the occurrence of asthma in children
- believed that children born in autumn, are more prone to the appearance of asthma due to low air temperatures.
- more prone to asthma representatives of Spanish and African-American groups.
- The risk of asthma in newborn increased several times due to smoking during pregnancy.
treatment of asthma in children
after diagnosis, depending on the frequency of occurrence and severity of symptoms, doctors determine the asthma treatment plan.Typically, the treatment of asthma in young children occurs in two stages.The first - the definition of pathogens and avoiding them in the future, and the second - receiving prescribed medications.
Asthma can be a constant or required only when asthma attacks.Prescribed drugs can be in liquid form for oral administration, or as a spray for inhalation.Since the treatment of asthma in a child, you must strictly follow the doctor's prescriptions to treatment was as effective as possible.
50% of young children with asthma get rid of age - in most cases, asthma attacks come to an end when the child reaches school age.Some children, however, asthma treatment takes longer, and the disease is only upon reaching puberty Puberty child - stages of a complex path .This, however, does not mean that asthma in young children does not require treatment and is held by itself - without treatment the disease can seriously damage the lungs.The child must be to protect against certain types of physical activity that can trigger an asthma attack.
role of parents
- find out as much information about asthma in young children
- consult a doctor and take part in drawing up the plan of treatment.
- Track the symptoms and their frequency.
- determine the causative agents of disease and to protect the child from them in the future.
- Ensure correct reception of medicines prescribed by a physician.