Thyme - a great herbal remedy
Gathering Thyme marks one of the most important Orthodox holidays - Trinity.On this day, flowering thyme carpet the floors of the houses, out of it make bouquets, making wreaths, put in a vase.It is believed that thyme, gathered on this day, have special healing properties.
botanical properties of thyme
or Thyme creeping thyme (Bogorodsk grass) - is a perennial herb or subshrub plant of the family grubotsvetnyh (yasnotkovyh) with a strong pleasant smell.The leaves are small, oval-oblong, stems numerous travel along the ground, flowers, small, mauve.There are more than 30 species of thyme, in our country there are more than ten.
thyme occurs almost throughout the territory of Russia is growing on the slopes of hills and hillocks, dry pine forests and steppes.Homeland thyme is considered the Mediterranean coast.In ancient Greece, this plant is valued for its aromatic properties.Currently, it cultivated in Europe, USA, Canada.
Thyme is used in food, cosmetics and pharmaceutical industries.Beekeepers appreciate thyme honey for good quality.
Medical raw material is the aboveground part - the grass and flowers.Harvest Thyme flowering period in May and June.Cut off the tops of the plants (flowers and stems with leaves), dried to the shade under a canopy, and store in a cool dry place.
chemical composition and medicinal properties
The Thyme contains volatile oil Essential oils and conception: can help roses? , which is composed of terpenes (thymol, borneol and other biologically active substances), organic acids (aminolonovaya, coffee, quinine and other), flavonoids (compounds having the ability to increase the permeability of blood vessels), vitamins (ascorbic acid, the precursorVitamin A - carotene), tannins (nitrogen-free binders), resins (they have a healing and antimicrobial properties), bitterness, fatty oil, gum (part of the solidified juice is used as the binding component), colorants.
Thyme has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, expectorant, wound healing, calming, anticonvulsant, analgesic and diuretic properties.In addition, the thyme is an excellent anthelmintic, but due to it contains bitters improves appetite.
Indications and contraindications for use
infusions, decoctions and extracts of thyme is used inside:
- in inflammatory diseases of the upper respiratory tract, bronchial tubes and lungs as an anti-inflammatory and expectorant;
- in diseases of the throat as an anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial agent;
- skin diseases as the anti-inflammatory agent;
- in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract for the normalization of its work and the restoration of appetite;
- with hypertension as a sedative and anti-stress agent;
- with nervousness and sleep disorders Dreams: how to understand our dreams as a sedative;
- osteochondrosis with a pinched nerve as a painkiller and sedative;
- edema of different origin as a diuretic;
- as an anthelmintic in the tapeworm.
Outwardly infusions of thyme is used to treat skin diseases, wounds, diseases of the joints, muscles and peripheral nerves in the form of baths, lotions and compresses.
preparations made from thyme contraindicated in acute inflammatory diseases of the liver and kidney, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcers, reduced thyroid function, pregnancy and breastfeeding Breastfeeding: Breast - and no nails! child.
How to prepare and take drugs from thyme
thyme prepare infusions and decoctions:
- thyme tincture for oral administration: a half tablespoon dried minced raw pour a glass of boiled water, in a water bath Banyaand health: the benefits and harms of bath procedures 30 minutes, filtered, made up to the initial level and take on a third cup three times a day before meals as an expectorant and sedative;
- thyme tincture for external use: two tablespoons raw pour a glass of boiled water, in a water bath for 30 minutes, filtered, made up to the initial level and used as a gargle, compresses and lotions;
- infusion of thyme bath: 1-1.5 cups of minced raw pour a liter of boiled water, 30 minutes in a water bath, filter, wring out and added to the bath.
Since infusions perishable, it is better to cook every day or stored in the refrigerator, but not more than two days.
The pharmacy you can buy the drug Pertussin, which includes an extract of thyme.This drug is used as an expectorant.