Comfrey and its beneficial properties: carefully, plant is poisonous!
As a medicinal plant comfrey is known for a very long time.Its root contains a lot of biologically active substances that activate the protection and restoration of the organism.It has long been a decoction of comfrey root treated wounds and fractures, as it has great healing effect.However, comfrey is also a poisonous plant, so it is not recommended to be taken orally.
comfrey Comfrey (larkspur) - is a perennial herb of the family Boraginaceae.In our country there are more than 15 species of comfrey, but the healing properties are more pronounced in comfrey.
Comfrey has a thick vertical root branched with numerous lateral roots.The roots of the black-brown outside, white inside, contain mucus.The whole plant is covered with stiff hairs.Stem erect, thick, strong, up to a meter tall, highly branched.Leaves rigid, large, ovate-lanceolate, long-acuminate at apex, lower - dlinnochereshkovye, middle and upper - sessile.Inflorescence numerous, many-flowered, flowers, five-membered hanging.Calyx deeply incised, half shorter than the corolla.Corolla tubular, campanulate advanced top, purple-violet or dirty-pink, rarely - white or yellowish.The fruits of up to 6 mm, black smooth shiny nuts.It blooms from May to July, fruits in July - August.
Comfrey grows on wet or fresh meadows, along ditches, along the banks of water bodies in humid deciduous forests, fertile and moist soil.Found in the European part of our country, in the North Caucasus, in Western Siberia.
Medicinal raw material is rhizomes and roots.They are collected in autumn, washed free of ground, cut into pieces and dried in air.The dried roots of comfrey have black-brown surface with deep elongated grooves.They are very hard, horny, have a smooth whitish break, with mucus and sweet astringent taste, and odorless.
chemical composition of comfrey root
root of comfrey contains:
- alkaloids - azotsoderdaschie natural compounds having a different structure - allantoin - has expectorant and analgesic effects, but alkaloid tsinoglossin has a paralyzing effect on the central nervous systemso drugs from comfrey quite poisonous;
- mucus - colloidal substances swelling in water;mucus have soothing, enveloping, expectorant, antitussive and analgesic properties;
- tannins - organic compounds of different chemical structure, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and astringent;
- tar - thick, sticky liquid with a characteristic odor, have a pronounced anti-bacterial and protivognilosnoe action;
- pectins - like mucus, but contained in the cell walls, swells in water to form colloidal solutions;It has a soothing, enveloping, expectorant, anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects.
At the root of comfrey also contains mineral salts, organic acids, traces of essential oil Essential oils and conception: can help roses? , choline, sugar and starch.
comfrey Influence on the human body
Comfrey has a protective, anti-inflammatory, astringent and healing action.
Raw materials used in folk medicine for:
- respiratory diseases, chronic cough, tuberculosis Tuberculosis - a full recovery is not guaranteed light - as a coating, emollient and expectorant;
- gastritis, gastric ulcer stomach - snacks such dangerous and duodenal ulcers, colitis, severe diarrhea diarrhea (diarrhea) - a familiar nuisance - as an astringent and anti-inflammatory agent;
- externally to prepare compresses for hard healing wounds, ulcers and burns - as a healing and styptic.
How to prepare medicine from comfrey home
Despite the fact that comfrey is used in folk medicine as an external and oral, official medicine recommends it only topically to treat wounds, ulcers andburns and bleeding.
comfrey for topical application can be prepared in the following manner:
- ointment of comfrey: fresh or dried steamed comfrey mince, mixed with pork fat at the rate of 1: 1 (for example, 2 tablespoons minced root mix with 2 tablespoons unsaltedlard) and apply to injuries and thrombophlebitis;
- infusion of comfrey root for external use: 2 tablespoons dried minced raw pour a glass of boiling water and infuse it in a thermos for 4 hours, strain, wring out and used for poultices;
- for fractures of the bones to the point of fracture applied compresses of fresh comfrey root.
Remember comfrey quite toxic, and it is better to use only externally.