Bay leaf and its beneficial properties: a modest doctor of kitchen cabinets
smell of bay leaf all of us familiar with the childhood, many housewives put it in the first and second dishes, jellies, sauces, and so on.Almost always, the bay leaf used for home canning vegetables.But it turns out the bay leaf is valued not only as a spice, and it has medicinal properties, for example, it can be used to lower blood sugar sugar in the blood - a very important indicator .
botanical characteristics laurel tree
laurel tree or laurel - a relic evergreen tree (bush) with canopy, which has survived from ancient times.The period of his life in vivo is several hundred years.Currently laurel often grown on plantations where living about sixty years.The bark is gray, smooth.The branches are numerous, branched, leaves are short, leathery, dark green, oval-oblong, pointed at the end, to 15 cm long.The flowers are small, cream-colored, clustered in inflorescences.Fruits - drupe round and slightly elongated black with large bone.Blossoms - -mae in April, fruiting - in October-November.
homeland laurel is the Mediterranean coast, where it can be seen as a wild tree or shrub.Cultural laurel plantation can be seen not only in the Mediterranean, but also in other areas with a subtropical climate.On the Black Sea coast there are laurel plantation in the Caucasus.Bay Tree enjoys a sunny location, but in places of constant growth and shading can withstand small frosts.Small laurel bush can be grown at home in a flower pot.
chemical composition of leafs and collect
collection bay leaf held in the autumn-winter season, from November to February.The leaves are harvested with shrubs that have reached the age of three.They take off together with the branches and immediately dried, laying a thin layer in the shade under the eaves.After the leaves will dry completely, they rip off and display in special bags.In dry areas bay leaves can be stored for several years.Fresh bay leaves, by industrial processing of an essential oil.From the ripe fruit and laurel oil is obtained, which is then used in the perfume industry.
laurel leaves are rich in essential oil Essential oils and conception: can help roses? (this is it gives them a specific flavor), organic acids (caproic, acetic, valeric), fatty acids, volatile (they have antibacterial properties), micronutrients, tannins.
How do the laurel leaves on the human body
Bay Leaf - is one of the basic, everyday spices, which is used in cooking.From drug to bay leaves used in ancient times.They have antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, immune-stimulating, healing, soothing, diuretic, astringent, improves digestion (including appetite) properties.Furthermore, bay leaf may reduce blood sugar.
based on essential oils of bay prepare various ointments, creams, soap with antibacterial properties.
What medicines from leafs can be made at home
At home, bay leaf can relieve a lot of problems, because after drying it retains all of its medicinal properties:
- worried if badmouth or inflammation in the area (stomatitis, gingivitis Gingivitis - if inflamed gums - inflammation of the gums), you can just several times a day to chew bay leaf, and then for an hour do not have anything to eat and drink;
- easily excitable, ill children to fall asleep several bay leaves can be sewn into a pillow - it soothes better than valerian root;
- bay leaves can be used for disinfection of the room in which the patient;it needs to make a few leaves with boiling water, infuse for 15 minutes and pour into a saucer or plate, and then the whole room filled with the scent of bay leaf and cleansed of pathogenic bacteria;
- infusion of bay leaves for oral administration: 10 medium laurel leaves pour three cups of boiling water, leave for three hours and take half a cup three times a day as a remedy for saharoponizhayuschee diabetes mellitus - threatening and incurable disease , as an anti-inflammatory agent in rheumatoid arthritis and as an antibacterial and immunostimulatory agent of tuberculosis;
- bay oil: one and a half tablespoons of crushed bay leaves, pour a glass of purified vegetable oil, to insist in a dark, cool (but not in the refrigerator) place within a week, drain and used topically for the treatment of inflammatory skin disorders (including suppuration), diaper rashand bedsores;
- infusion of bay leaves for external use: 30 bay leaves make a glass of boiling water, leave for three hours, then pour into a bowl with warm water and make a foot bath (10 minutes) with increased sweating of the feet and unpleasant odors.
familiar to all from childhood bay leaves can become an indispensable home remedy to treat many diseases.