The hormone of pregnancy: low or high?
human chorionic gonadotropin, better known as the pregnancy hormone - a special hormone produced during pregnancy, cells that form the placenta ("transmission link" between the egg is attached to the uterine wall, and a woman's body).The level of the pregnancy hormone is measured by blood and urine tests: A blood test to determine the level of the hormone may be about eleven days after conception, and by analysis of urine - twelve to fourteen days after conception (which is the principle of determination of gonadotropin in urine based all "home"pregnancy tests).
If the pregnancy is normal, the level of pregnancy hormone increases rapidly (in general - doubling every seventy-two hours).Peak performance reaches the level of gonadotropin in the first eight to eleven weeks of pregnancy, and then begins to decline.
What you need to know about the pregnancy hormone
- Eighty-five percent of all cases of normal pregnancy hormone levels of pregnancy doubles every forty-eight - seventy-two hours, and this is perfectly normal.In the course of pregnancy and increasing rates of hormone levels increase the amount of hormone in the blood gradually decreases.
- Although hormone indicator of pregnancy is important, too much reliance on it is not: even if the level of gonadotropin in pregnancy is low, a child can be born completely healthy.The results of ultrasound conductive after the seventh-eighth week of pregnancy, where more accurate than tests for gonadotropin.
- contents chorionic gonadotropin in the blood or urine is measured in milli-international units per milliliter of fluid.The level of gonadotropin less than five mIU per milliliter indicates that pregnancy has not occurred, and rates above twenty five mIU per milliliter indicate that conception is successful.
- Once the level of human chorionic gonadotropin reaches two thousand mIU / mL, transvaginal ultrasound can detect at least the embryo sac.
- One analysis on hormones of pregnancy often is not considered a sufficient basis for the diagnosis.If pregnancy accompanied by any complications often run some tests to gonadotropin at intervals of several days - for more accurate study.
- To determine the duration of pregnancy, indicators such as the level of gonadotropin, is not used, because the numbers can vary greatly.
- There are two main types of tests for pregnancy hormone.The qualitative analysis to determine the presence of human chorionic gonadotropin in the blood, and quantitative - to measure the exact amount of the hormone in the blood.
level of hormone of pregnancy, depending on the timing of pregnancy (indicators may vary in each case):
- third week of pregnancy, from five to fifty mIU / ml
- fourth week of pregnancy: Up tofour hundred and twenty six
- fifth week of pregnancy, from eighteen to forty-seven thousand three hundred mIU / ml
- sixth week of pregnancy, from eighty thousand to fifty six thousand five hundred mIU / ml
- seventh - eighth week of pregnancy, from seven thousand six hundred fifty totwo hundred and twenty nine thousand mIU / ml
- ninth - twelfth week of pregnancy, from twenty-five thousand seven hundred to two hundred and eighty eight thousand mIU / ml
- thirteenth to sixteenth week of pregnancy, from thirteen thousand three hundred to two hundred and fifty four thousand mIU / ml
- Seventeenth - the twenty-fourth week of pregnancy, from four thousand one hundred and sixty to sixty-five thousand four hundred mIU / ml
- Twenty-fifth - the fortieth week of pregnancy: three thousand six hundred and forty to one hundred and seventeen thousand mIU / ml
Whatmean too low or high levels of the hormone of pregnancy?
Low levels of human chorionic gonadotropin in the blood of pregnant women may be caused by or in any complication of pregnancy or a common error in the calculations - for this reason, after two or three days performed repeated analysis for the study of the dynamics of hormone levels.Low levels of the pregnancy hormone could mean a possible miscarriage, ectopic (tubal) pregnancy, the death of the egg, in rare cases - error in determining gestational age.
high level of human chorionic gonadotropin in the blood may indicate an error in determining the duration of pregnancy, molar pregnancy or a pregnancy with twins.
pregnancy hormones after the pregnancy
After four to six weeks after pregnancy for any reason completed, pregnancy hormone levels back to normal - that is, the amount of gonadotropin in the blood does not exceed five mIU / ml.The process of reducing levels of the hormone depends on the cause of termination of pregnancy (spontaneous miscarriage Miscarriage - whether it can be insured? , curettage curettage - female mini-operation , abortion, natural childbirth), and how high the level ofhormone has been completed at the time of pregnancy.
What medications affect the levels of the hormone of pregnancy?
on indicators such as the level of human chorionic gonadotropin in the blood of pregnancy, does not affect anything - except for specific drugs containing the hormone (such medicines are often used in the treatment of infertility).All other medications, whether antibiotics Antibiotics - whether they will help you in the foreseeable future? , analgesics, oral contraceptives or other hormonal drugs Hormonal drugs - not just contraceptives , do not affect the level of the pregnancy hormone.