Antidepressants during pregnancy: use caution
antidepressants during pregnancy can harm the child's health, but stopping these drugs can endanger the health of the mother.Antidepressants - "first aid" in the treatment of any kind of depressive disorders, effectively suppresses the symptoms of depression.Although pregnancy does not worsen the symptoms of depression, fluctuations in hormone levels make women more vulnerable emotionally, complicating the fight against depression.
refusing to treat depression Depression - a little more than a bad mood during pregnancy, a woman may endanger not only their own health but also the health of the unborn baby.Depression robs a woman of energy needed to take care of their own health and the health of the child, can cause addiction to alcohol or smoking.The price is not cured in time of depression is very high: the refusal of the treatment of depression can lead to premature birth, birth defects, increase the risk of postpartum depression.
In general, the risk of birth defects and other health problems of the child in the case of a woman taking antidepressants during pregnancy is very low.However, some drugs used to treat depression during pregnancy are contraindicated because really able to do much harm to the child's health.There are a number of antidepressants, which take during pregnancy can, without fear for their own health and the health of your baby.
types of antidepressants
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
- Citalopram.Potential risks - a rare but serious lung disease in neonates (newborn persistent pulmonary hypertension) at a reception in the third trimester of pregnancy and the risk of birth defects of the brain and skull (anencephaly, craniosynostosis).Deemed acceptable during pregnancy.
- Fluoxetine.The potential risk - persistent pulmonary hypertension in newborns when taking the second half of pregnancy.Deemed acceptable during pregnancy.
- Paroxetine.The potential risk - congenital heart Heart defects - time heals? in newborns when taken in the first trimester of pregnancy, and anencephaly, craniosynostosis and omphalocele.Contraindicated in pregnancy.
- sertraline.The potential risk - persistent pulmonary hypertension Hypertension - Control your blood pressure newborns when taking the second half of pregnancy, and septal congenital heart defects and fetal hernia.Deemed acceptable during pregnancy in some cases.
persistent pulmonary hypertension in newborns, anencephaly, craniosynostosis and omphalocele - a very rare disease.Even with long-term treatment of antidepressants - selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors during pregnancy, the risk of such diseases in the child is very small.
- Amitriptyline.The potential risk - underdevelopment of the limbs (not confirmed the latest medical research).Deemed acceptable during pregnancy.
- Nortriptyline.The potential risk - underdevelopment of the limbs (as is the case with amitriptyline, nortriptyline influence on the development of the limbs of the child is not confirmed the latest research).Deemed acceptable during pregnancy.
Antidepressants - monoamine oxidase inhibitors
- phenelzine.The potential risk - a sharp increase in blood pressure, provoking a heart attack.Contraindicated in pregnancy.
- tranylcypromine.The potential risk - a sharp increase in blood pressure Blood pressure - dangerous if his swing? , provoking a heart attack.Contraindicated in pregnancy.
- Bupropion.Because of the lack of potential risks is considered one of the most effective drugs for the treatment of depression during pregnancy.